Reverse order in vehicles.

This may be an old topic but I have a bit of a problem with the delay in execution when a reverse order is given in a vehicle. I under stand the theory behind the delays for orders as the abstract the delays and communication confusion found in combat units. However, a reverse order in a tank or truck is usually a spot decision made by the driver or tank commander. (Usually in the face of a serious threat). Why is there such a long delay? I would think that the response would be very quick with very little delay at all and would like to see the time delay for this type of order reduced. Perhaps a solution would be to inplement a "bug out" order similar to the withdrawal order for infantry. There should be some penalties assocaited such as greatly reducing the ability of the tank to fire. Any comments?

Vehicle crews very often reverse on their own initiative when presented with a serious threat. If you feel the need for an immediate reverse, best issue no orders, and let the crew do what they need to. Ordering them to reverse naturally pre-empts whatever they're doing, and they have to wait a few seconds to process your order instead of deciding the best course of action themselves.