Talibs say they downed two US choppers

OOOOOps, wrong forum. Matt, sorry.

downed.jpg

22 October 2001, Afghanis stand next to an alleged downed US helicopter near Kandahar, Afghanistan. The Taliban militia said 22 October they had found the wreckage of two US military helicopters with traces of blood and reported fighting with other US forces who came on a rescue mission

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: Skipper ]

This will probably get moved to the General Forum, but until it does I'd like to make a comment or two about the picture.

If those are indeed wheel assemblies from an American helicopter then they could only be from a H47 or H53, they are too big for anything else. (MH47 & MH53, in this case).

They could also be from bombed out Taliban aircraft, I've been to several crash sites, and I can tell you that if those wheel assemblies are in that good of a shape, then there are other, bigger and more recognizable helicopter parts to be dragged in front of the camera.

Well see.

Gyrene

This weekend I'll gather up a dozen of my friends, dress up in old military uniforms, then go down to the junk yard and take a picture standing next to an old, beat-up truck. I'll then e-mail it to the guys at Al-Jazeera with the caption: "US SF ambush Taliban supply convoy"