Solitaire armored campaign for CMBO

I made a solitaire campaign rules for CMBO (inspired by Biltong's Campaign Rules for CMBB, but quite totally different).

It's loosely based on old tabletop solitaire wargame called "Patton's Best" where player is commander of Sherman tank fighting his way from Normandy to Germany as tanker for 10th armored Division.

Now you have chance to try same in CMBO.

Alpha 2-version can be downloaded from:

http://members.surfeu.fi/sardaukar/SarCampRTF.rtf

as .rtf text file

All comments and suggestions are welcome !

Cheers,

M.S.

Interesting,

So interesting in fact, I might get going on a German counterpart, and send it to you for comments. I am thinking: basis perhaps 9th SS or 12th SS, would need to be a bit shorter as these divisions had away-time from the western front.

Thought, rather than suggestion: if this is to follow the destinies of a tanker crew (Commander), I rather get the wish to "fight it out" using only level 1 and 2 view. But I can't really, on a medium or large map. So I was pondering. Shouldn't the maps be a lot smaller and the clashes too?

And what does Sardaukar mean?

All the best

Dandelion

Originally posted by Dandelion:

Interesting,

So interesting in fact, I might get going on a German counterpart, and send it to you for comments. I am thinking: basis perhaps 9th SS or 12th SS, would need to be a bit shorter as these divisions had away-time from the western front.

Thought, rather than suggestion: if this is to follow the destinies of a tanker crew (Commander), I rather get the wish to "fight it out" using only level 1 and 2 view. But I can't really, on a medium or large map. So I was pondering. Shouldn't the maps be a lot smaller and the clashes too?

And what does Sardaukar mean?

All the best

Dandelion

Well, my idea is not to restrict really the forces available, but player tracks only his tank among several through battles. Single tanks were rarely seeing action alon, but usually as part of larger unit and task force. About restricting game to views 1 or 2, I wouldn't do that, since it makes managing task force bit hard. And since force sizes are actually same compared to normal QB, map sizes are too.

German side version is very good idea. It was easy to make American 10th AD campaign, since tabletop solitaire game "Patton's Best" have daily combat calendar describing action from July 27th to April 18th. If there would be even generic record of battles for German side, it'd be easy to make similar rules for Germans.

Due to game engine QB generator limitations, modelling/tracking larger forces by individual tank/squad is quite hard. I plan to make similar rules for CMBB that would track single tank commander rising to command platoon, company etc...if staying alive. Maybe something modelling careers of Wittman, Carius, etc.

In CMBB it's easy to edit individual tanks/squads since one can import them to QB from saved game. It is really good feature that allows "dynamic" campaign a la Biltong's Campaign Rules.

Maybe modelling tank battles of Heavy Tank Companies (Tigers) of SS and Wehrmacht on west is also a viable idea.

Sardaukars were Imperial elite soldiers in scifi Book Dune, written by Frank Herbert smile.gif

Cheers,

M.S.

Originally posted by klapton:

Interesting indeed, but I'm not sure the Americans can have conscript units.

Have to check that one smile.gif , this is still alpha version anyway smile.gif

Edit: at least game engine allows it...so I don't see any problem with that. If it's totally realistic, that can be debated smile.gif

Cheers,

M.S.

[ March 27, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Sardaukar ]

Sardaukar

Can not find any ref to this paragraph regarding the obvious penalties should this occur. :confused:

Campaign continues as long as even single crew member survives, but it can have adverse

effect on experience level of your crew (and due engine limitations, your overall force

quality).

How are experiance points reduced if you suffer crew casualties?

• 2 weeks later...