Fire indicators

This thread reminds me of the old'OOB threads wink.gif

Well, I play with bases for one, and the blinking thing is a good idea, it'll just tell you "oh something is happening there" instead having to dive everywhere on the map to find what happens.

Blinking bases are not less "realistic" than hovering over the battlefield anyway ...

Originally posted by CavScout:

Exactly. It is not a request to know who shot at them but just an indicator that a unit has come under fire. You could then focus on that unit in playback and try and determine where it came from, if possible.

I agree with this.

Is it unreasonable to request a quicker way to have the game interface let you know in some graphical user friendly way (flashing bases for example) that one of your units is under fire? I do agree with those that say FOW should not exactly tell you where the fire is coming from. Thats fine, just let me know right away which of my units is being fired upon.

-tom w

aka_tom_w said:

I do agree with those that say FOW should not exactly tell you where the fire is coming from. Thats fine, just let me know right away which of my units is being fired upon.

I don't agree. If the FOW is such that you can't tell where the shots came from, you often can't tell who exactly they were aimed at. Sure, it might have hit Fred standing next to you, and Joe might have seen bullet impacts near him, but how can you be sure it wasn't really meant for 3rd squad just up the slope from you and fell short?

In my experience, you can't tell the intended target in real life as precisely as you all desire for the game. All you know is that the enemy is shooting in your general direction. And CM already lets you know this in many elegant, immersion-friendly ways.

For instance, when a distant, unseen MG opens up on the flank of your advance, you here it fire. Stop the film, back it up 1 click, move over to that flank, and listen again. This time you might hear some grunts say something about it, or a squad might falter in its otherwise steady advance as the troops drop to their knees briefly. Plus the MG's sound is sourced to a spot on the map so you can get a pretty good idea of where weapon is just by listening to it the couple of times it takes to make this inspection of your troops.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "what unit is being shot at" IS an FOW issue IMHO.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 02-16-2001).]