Thirds party units in CM?

I was wondering how easy it was to build and "install" new units into CM, I have played Total Annihilation for the past 3 years and have got into 3rd party unit making 8 months ago.

Since I discovered the hidden treasure that is CM I have been interested in having more units (vehicles) in the game, the Australian Sentinal AC1 in particular.

In Total Annihilation (TA) units were modeled using Rhino3D or other similar 3D modelling programs, then the other parts of the model was added - scripting, build pics, animation .gafs, and other parts necessary to make the model "work".

After this process was done, the models directory with sub-direcs for each script/3D model/pic etc was compressed and compiled into a single (.hpi) file that the game would automatically load when starting.

Doubtless CM and TA use different kinds of 3D engines but seeing as CM is so "moddable" it seems only logical (to me anyways) that 3rd party units would not seem too much trouble.

Hello Bozza and welcome to the CM community. As for you hopes of building new units....i have to break your heart and say it is not possible as all the vehicles and units in the game are hard coded ( did i say that right ? ). The only thing that can be modded is the .bmps , this consists of changing the colours of the bmps , to give the vehicles and infantry units new colour schemes.

Hope this can help ye some .

Regards

Måkjager

------------------

Once an Ubërcabbage

Always an Ubërcabbage

Well let me just say that, each and every unit in CM has been thoroughly researched historically down to its ground pressure psi, sillouette, engine HP, armor thickness and slope for several armor plates, muzzle velocities, blast radiai, etc. This is what makes CM very accurate in its physics. So then for some "3rd Party" to do up a new 3D model and texture for a new unit will simply not work. What I'm trying to say is there are real world physics at work here, not made up stuff like in Total Annihilation.

Besides you'll probably get your Australian stuff in CM3: The Mediterranean Theater.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 01-07-2001).]