Split your HQ's?

I was just thinking the other day, isn't there a platoon sgt. in with that HQ lt? If so, why not put him to work too? Many times, I've wanted to split my platoon up to do a little recon work or something, but the guys I split off always end up getting shot to pieces and routed because of lack of leadership. Now, I'm not too sure of the histerical accuracy of this, but why couldn't you split your HQ unit in two, with two effective leadership units. On the surface, it seems reasonable, but I'm sure there are those out there who can answer more in depth...

As a first suggestion, I would implement this as follows - You can split any HQ into two units (don't all commanders have immediate second in commands? even co and battalion commanders?) Of course, you should be "penalized" for this as well (can't get something for nothing). Possible penalties include - reduced command radius for each HQ unit, loss or reduction (or random split) of leadership bonuses, others? I think the benefits would be enormous. No more lonely mg units sitting out there just out of command radius, ready to rout at the first hint of enemy arty, effective recon patrols unencumbered by excessive command delays, etc.

Any takers?

TigerChow

So who can share some grog type info on HQ TOE's. Is this even a realistic idea given the actual organization of the various HQ units in different armies? It seems to me that in the american army the platoon Lt. always had a platoon Sgt. that was either the "real leader" of the platoon or was always second guessing him. Atleast that's how I remember Hollywood portrayals...

I tried finding something last night on the internet, but didn't really find anything definitive. I just don't know where to look.

TigerChow