What is considered BIG Arty?

The book says to try holding off on big arty like the 14' navel guns. Now here is my delima, I try to be a "real" as I can. In a current PBEM I am using one spotter of German of 210mm. Now in the last few minutes I am currently debating if I have brought along "the big stuff" or if this was a common Arty. If not what is the general limit on arty size?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clinton:

The book says to try holding off on big arty like the 14' navel guns. Now here is my delima, I try to be a "real" as I can. In a current PBEM I am using one spotter of German of 210mm. Now in the last few minutes I am currently debating if I have brought along "the big stuff" or if this was a common Arty. If not what is the general limit on arty size?

Any help is greatly appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My limit says 155mm and under is common arty. These size of guns were controlled at division level, which meant an average grunt had a chance of seeing these in action. The larger guns were higher level assets and thus extremely rare. For example, the Germans made 28 240mm guns, 711 210mm guns & mortars, 6791 150mm artillery pieces, and 19947 105mm artillery pieces.

The way I look at it, 105mm would be the standard (or 25lbr if British). If I were under anything like 150mm or 155mm I'd consider myself 'unfortunate', and anything bigger than that is rare. Possibly except the British. I know they like their big guns. The RA seems to be as gun-happy as the Russians.

If you don't make a habit of bringing along the big stuff though, I wouldn't see a problem with it. I've been known to use an 8" myself. (And killed more of my own guys with a short round than of the enemy. Watch out for those big ones!)

NTM

Corrections welcome, particularly US and German numbers.

Commonwealth infantry division:

3 Field regiments (battalions) with 24 25pdrs each (72 total)

Plus 16(?) 4.2" mortars and 60 3" mortars (in 9 infantry battalions and the Recce Rgt)

German infantry division (vanilla type, not Voksgrenadier)

2 battalions with 16 105mm lFH each

1 Battalion with 16 150mm

48 total

Plus regimental 120mm mortars and battalion level 81mm mortars (no idea about numbers), plus infantry guns in the regiments (75mm and 150mm), no idea about numbers

US Infantry Division (off the top of my head, most likely wrong)

2 Battalions with 16 105mm guns each

1 Battalion with 155mm guns

48 total

Plus 81mm mortars in the battalions (?) and attached assets, e.g. 4.2" Chem Mortar Battalions.

Larger guns than this were higher level assets, but could be controlled by combat level FOOs. They were however often used for long-range interdiction and supply harassment, as well as counter-battery fire, due to their range). So if you face a Commonwealth division, a storm of 25pdrs is what you can expect. For the Germans and US, some more heavy stuff is easily intermixed because it is still organic at division level.

In general, go with 105 if you are playing German or US and with 25pdrs if you are Commonwealth, and Bob's your uncle.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Johnson-<THC>-:

Ok, but wasn't German rocket arty pretty common. Anyone got any numbers on those?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have any production totals, but you might find the following data interesting. The 51st Nebelwerfer Regiment fired 68,344 15cm and 8,325 21cm rockets between July and December 1943.

During the war 20 brigades, 15 heavy regiments, 3 regiments in fixed positions, 4 training and replacement regiments, and 25 independant battalions were formed, some of them being re-formed several times.

I think that data might only cover the Eastern Front, there might have been other units in the West.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Johnson-<THC>-:

Ok, but wasn't German rocket arty pretty common. Anyone got any numbers on those?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was indeed, I forgot to list it because it's not organic to divisions. Heres the numbers from Feldgrau: 6009 150mm Nebelwerfer 41 and Panzerwerfer 42, 1487 210mm types, and 1074 300mm size launchers. Heres the page i've been getting the numbers from Feldgrau. It also lists the infantry and flak gun production.