Does AI Know how to flank?

Does the AI ever use any better tactics than the blind "Chinese Rush" that it normally uses? I.e.: trying to flank your units under covering fire or by stealth instead of massing troops and charging your positions? It seems to me that the AI is a far better defender than an attacker. Aside from its almost magical ability to get first shot tank kills, it seems to me the AI lags in overall attack ability on scenarios other than ME or Defence.

Maybe its just time for me to PBEM.

Guest DasVolk
Originally posted by Gyrene:

Does the AI ever use any better tactics than the blind "Chinese Rush" that it normally uses? I.e.: trying to flank your units under covering fire or by stealth instead of massing troops and charging your positions? It seems to me that the AI is a far better defender than an attacker. Aside from its almost magical ability to get first shot tank kills, it seems to me the AI lags in overall attack ability on scenarios other than ME or Defence.

Actually yes, it does. In "Forest Dwellers",( really fine scenario IMHO ) the AI as Brits have twice tried to swing around my weak left Flank. The AI seems to work better on large Maps.

[This message has been edited by DasVolk (edited 04-03-2001).]

Originally posted by Hilhil45:

thanks...but now I feel like an idiot

Hehe...don't worry about it. If you really want to feel like an idiot, try stepping into the Cesspool and challenging someone to a friendly PBEM. wink.gif

And be sure to send some winks to Mr. Peng.

BTW: Welcome to the forum, HilHil45.

------------------

Andreas himself will attest that my massive ego and foolhardy belief in my own greatness would never allow for me to be anyone's worshipper - Hamsters

I don't think the AI really knows how to flank, at least not in a way of "Hey there's a tank! I'll advance frontally with this heavy tank and send this light one to flank it."

What the AI often does to overcome this problem, is to divide it's forces in two groups on both sides of map. If all goes well it can then attack from two directions.