From NORMANDY to 'NAM maybe?

In Indochina (not Vietnam :D) the french had a

mix of WWII US weapons, Pre-war and post war french weapons.

There was the FM24/29 (it's more look like a bren than a SMG).

The common rifles were the MAS36,the Garand and the M1 Carbine.

The SMG where US made or the MAT49 (Wich was still in use in 1991 !).

The MG were cal30, cal50 or AA52, wich is quite a good stuff(because it's a kind of copy of the MG42 ;)).

My grandfather was a paratrooper officer in Indochina. At this time it was not Viet Cong but Viet Minh. According to all what he told me about the pre-nam war, I wonder if CM's engine is adapted for this theatre. Or you have to find a way to modelize elephant patrol, tiger traps (I'm talking of the real beasts not the UberPz smile.gif),fast shot and run engagments, and a lot of exotic arts of war...

I think to modelize another war with CM isn't just trying to have the accuratly equipment but you have to recreate the particular "atmosphère" of this war. But why not, this is a challenge and I'm daily stonned by all the mods quality smile.gif

[ 06-20-2001: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Of course, BTS has pointed out that CM cannot possibly produce the results it does through accounting for every possible battlefield variable. Everything that you see has to be specifically programmed to happen the way it does, so CMBO functions in a way which is only really suited to Second World War, post-Normandy Landings, Western Front warfare. The example was quoted in a thread about the current modelling of machineguns, as these are being altered to deal more effectively with the human wave tactics employed by the Russians early in the war. So ultimately, you can make CM look like a different war, but it will always function as the specific theatre it was designed for.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Of course the tpyical Nam action was just agressive patrolling...VC ambush US, US platoon takes 2-3 casualties, fires back for a few min, causes 1, and then turns the town, tree-line, etc into bbq with airstrikes and artillery.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the Hollywood version of the Vietnam war.

There were several different kinds of war going on at the same time in Vietnam:

The trench warfare of the USMC versus the NVA at the DMZ in I Corps

The Pacification program by the USMC in Southern I Corps (A very successful program killed by the Army brass)

The Hill Wars in II Corps and Southwest I Corps (Firebases, patrols and lots of heliborne action), big Air Cav presence

The SEAL's private war with the VC in the Mekong Delta

Widespread VC action in III Corps (Saigon), what most people think of when they think Vietnam:US Army, rice paddies, VC

There were large, conventional battles between US forces and NVA troops (Even NVA tanks were used, time to time) in places such as Ia Drang and A Shau valleys, these were not hit and run guerrila fights by anyone's definitions.

Intense city battles, like the fight for Hue during Tet and around Saigon

Also there were the Aussies' side of the war, mostly low intensity patrolling and lots of landmine casualties punctuated by a few intense fights (Long Tan, for example) and there was also the SOG and covert wars.

The Average frontline soldier in Vietnam saw far more days of combat than any US soldier in WWII, this being one of the reasons for the high PTSD rate for Vietnam Vets.

Gyrene