some more desert mod pics and more!

http://w1.312.telia.com/~u31213280/index.htm

Check out the above ASL Maps 4 CM website. The good Col Kuntz has posted two pictures of the modified Italian tanks and three speech wav files. Audace and Marco Bergman did the vehicle mods. Audace and a friend did the speech files. I think a good job with done with both.

I own the community a bit of an apology about the Desert Fox Desert Rats (DFDR) mod. To be honest it has proven far, far, far more difficult that I had planned. There is so much that needed to be done and still much to be done. But we are learning and I have worked up some plans of what I would like to do if the community receives DFDR well.

Right after DFDR is released I will listened to what is liked and what isn't and adjust my plans accordingly. If things go well then I want to release a short series of Nationality Mods. Each mod would concentrate on a small part of the early part of the war. I have some ASL scenarios that I would like to have see the light of day. Each mod would cover these scenarios, the needed uniform and weapon bmps, speech wav files for that nation, and any terrain tiles that might be needed. Now the scenarions can easily be fought out without these additional files but with luck you will want to in order to get a feel of the whole sound and sights that is possible.

I am thinking of using what I called Scenario Special Mods (SSM). Each scenario could have in the readme section a list of any mods that the designer thinks enhances that battle. These might include adding Italians or special terrain tiles. Now the SSMs are not mandatory. You can fight out the battle using standard CMBO files. But to get the most out of it the SSM are required.

Now here is where the mod manager proved a savior. It adds the SSMs as needed. The downside is that if you want to switch back to CMBO in Europe you must reload the original files. Hence my concern about the reception the desert will receive. But to be honest I just zipped my original files and reloaded the game as it was before the desert.

My whole idea with this project is that since I cannot change the game I can at least change what you see and hear. I hope that the nationality mods will be used as I planned and you will hear Norwegian soldiers taking on the best of the Wermacht. Or even Polish soldiers fighting off German invaders.

I won't go into much of what I am planning yet but I do have plans in work. I found individuals willing to volunteer their time to enhance the game.

BTW, if this goes well and is received well then I have worked up the needs, plans, and goals a Pacific mod. I do need some help here. I need a volunteer that is capable of uniform mods. There will be many in the Pacific. It will cover from the Aleutians, pacific islands, and the jungles. Here is where the reception of the nationality mods is critical. Since the types of terrain varied widely.

MikeT

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patboivin:

Mike,

How were you able to add a new (Italian) tank into CM?

I thought that could not be done, so far mods have concentrated on improving bitmaps but not changing the type of vehicle.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh?

They didn't change anything. Just the bitmaps as you said.

Col Kuntz runs the ASL 4 CM website.

You are right about adding vehicles. The only thing we can do is to redress vehicles. The H39 is in many ways typical of vehicles of its day. It is really close to the M13/40 Italian tank. So all Audace did was to redress the H39.

MikeT

Just to let you know about where we're at folks...

Audace's Italian forces SSM nears completion. The tanks look damn good and the .wav conversions are first rate!

Marco and Gordon's vehicles are really top notch but MikeT could tell you better than I the completion status of all the vehicles.

On my end the assorted artwork and interface are complete. All that remains of the terrain conversion is about half the buildings and brush (and a few other tidbits). We plan to include two open terrain replacements (for different regions of Libya and Tunisia) and replacements for almost all other summer textures.

A few sounds, some uniforms, a blitz of scenario and operation creation (already have a few) and hopefully we'll be about there.

Until then, we'll keep the screens coming.

Clubfoot.

This deserves bumping!

If you have not gone and looked at the screen shots, you need to. I'm very impressed with it all. There is some excellent work going on here. Even the palm trees are impressive.

I've got other things to do and being away from CM is hard enough. Now this! I can't stand it! How am I ever going to keep myself away?

MikeT and all of you working on this grand package. Nice job and really looking forward to this masterpiece. Won't be the real desert CM, but it will definitely give us a visual change and a whole other feeling to our CM experience. Keep it up!

PS: Looking forward to the SSM's as well. I think its a wonderful idea. I already have three CM games installed on one computer. What's a few more?

Garry

Guest Napoleon1944

Sweet! No trees and long visibility will make for an interesting game!

------------------

The only enemy I fear is nature.

-Napoleon