Flames in the Rain Bug

Guest ckoharik

Originally posted by Banshee:

[bTrivia: What is the difference between an explosive and a pyrotechnic?

Answer: An explosive DETONATES (the shockwave is in front of the flame front) but a pyrotechnic DEFLAGRATES (Shock wave is behind the flame front).

Damn, you learn something new every day. This one will probably show up on Jeopardy soon. biggrin.gif

-Chris

You guys are missing one other possibility. Sure it is raining, but are you sure it is water, there are other clear liquids that burn quite well ;-P

------------------

"With cat-like tread, Upon our prey we steal;

In silence dread, Our cautious way we feel." -G&S

I think we are missing one point here. We all agree that it is perfectly reasonable that anything could catch fire in CM. But would the road burn for 40 minutes? I don´t think so. If there were some large logs in the tile they would perhaps still be burning after 40 minutes in pouring rain, but that wouldn´t hinder access to the tile or create a large amount of smoke.

Originally posted by Hurricane:

I think we are missing one point here. We all agree that it is perfectly reasonable that anything could catch fire in CM. But would the road burn for 40 minutes? I don´t think so. If there were some large logs in the tile they would perhaps still be burning after 40 minutes in pouring rain, but that wouldn´t hinder access to the tile or create a large amount of smoke.

Thanks Hank....

I now agree that it can burn.... but, it has been the same clump of brush, and the same "clump" of road that is burning.

It has not spread, or gotten larger like the "real case" examples above, and, it has been burning for 40+ minutes.

Wouldn't it spread? As it is now, it takes up a bunch of tiles, and burns.

On another note. How come my burning wrecks in wheatfields, with dry weather, don't spread??????????

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

On another note. How come my burning wrecks in wheatfields, with dry weather, don't spread??????????

Probably because they didn't code it to spread. Going out on a limb here I know.

I would guess they didn't think it was important enough to spend the time on it. I would tend to agree with them.

CM is a wargame not a physics simulator. Some things are too trivial to worry about. Whether a paved road will burn for 40 minuets or 10 is in that category. Just my opinion.

Some people are disappointed there are no dead cows. Go figure.

------------------

What a bunch of horsecrap. -Steve

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

I would guess they didn't think it was important enough to spend the time on it. I would tend to agree with them.

I can't see why one would think this is unimportant? First, there is the obvious case, that battlefield smoke is a major player on any battlefield. If dry summer wheat fields can catch on fire, this is nothing but adding to the simulation.

Second, BTS has coded flames during wet days, why not dry??????? The logic would dictate dry flames spreading first (since it is MORE likely to happen) than on wet roads.

My logic is that it would be important in a battle of 30 minutes and higher, due to the importance of smoke.

Any more thoughts?

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Originally posted by Moriarty:

As for wicks and such, some materials, when ignited, give off sufficient oxygen to support low-grade combustion ... such as a fuse.

Yup, some fuels are monopropellants which means that they burn without needing oxygen (they contain their own oxidizer). The one I am familiar with is Otto fuel. It's a liquid fuel used in torpedoes. Otto fuel is largely composed of propylene glycol dinitrate, with lesser amounts of 2-nitrodiphenylamine and di-n-butylsebacate. It's pretty cool stuff, but can give you a hell of a headache (and worse) if you inhale the fumes.

------------------

Craiger

All your victory flag are belong to me

Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

I can't see why one would think this is unimportant? First, there is the obvious case, that battlefield smoke is a major player on any battlefield. If dry summer wheat fields can catch on fire, this is nothing but adding to the simulation.

Second, BTS has coded flames during wet days, why not dry??????? The logic would dictate dry flames spreading first (since it is MORE likely to happen) than on wet roads.

I see your point. It's not a bad idea at all. It's just that BTS has limited time and resources to implement this stuff and if it comes down to having spreading flames or the T-35 in CM2 I'll take the T-35.

------------------

What a bunch of horsecrap. -Steve

Originally posted by Bullethead:

Madmatt said:

Speak of the Devil biggrin.gif

As for wet tiles burning, there's no problem with that. Hell, just last January I had to fight a fire in a field so muddy that we got an engine totally immobilized in it. All it takes to burn such a field is 1 match on 1 clump of dry grass, which is exactly what happened then thanks to a stupid kid. This little fire then dries out the surrounding grass, to which the fire spreads, getting bigger in the process. The bigger the fire, the more heat, so the more drying it can do, resulting in more and more and bigger and bigger things in the field igniting. This process takes more time at first than with a dry field, of course, but if there's enough kindling-type stuff available in the initial area, eventually the fire gets big enough that there's no longer any difference. It's big enough to dry out all fuels over a large area outside the fire itself. Then the fire spreads as if the field was dry, and us poor firemen sink up to our knees humping hose to it from our bogged truck.

Greetings, brother.

Every year a department to the south of us calls mutual aid for a swamp fire. The grass-brush can reach 7-8 feet, the muck can be knee-deep and stinks and the firefighters are stuck fighting this with Indian tanks, brooms, rakes and shovels ... except for the REMFs sittin' on the road with the deck guns.

Glorious frickin' job, ain't it?

------------------

McHenry Township Fire Protection District, Co. 1, McHenry, IL