A suggestion for hidden unit markers

It's not a big thing, but in a way, it is. A pet peeve is that I have spotted an infantry? or a tiger? or a SPA? or what ever and then it hides or goes out of los only to be replaced by the cross marker, star marker, bullseye marker, etc. All well and good except when that same unit reappears elsewhere, the star, cross, or bullseye disappears. That immediately tells me that the unit that was seen over there is now over here. How in the world would anyone know that? As far as you know, it could be an entirely different unit. My suggestion would be to leave the markers on the map and the ONLY way that they would be removed is if one of your units had a los to that particular piece of terrain or was close enough to spot it. As it is now, trying to confuse the enemy is very difficult if the hidden markers keep reappearing as your units move across the map.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

It's not a big thing, but in a way, it is. A pet peeve is that I have spotted an infantry? or a tiger? or a SPA? or what ever and then it hides or goes out of los only to be replaced by the cross marker, star marker, bullseye marker, etc. All well and good except when that same unit reappears elsewhere, the star, cross, or bullseye disappears. That immediately tells me that the unit that was seen over there is now over here. How in the world would anyone know that? As far as you know, it could be an entirely different unit. My suggestion would be to leave the markers on the map and the ONLY way that they would be removed is if one of your units had a los to that particular piece of terrain or was close enough to spot it. As it is now, trying to confuse the enemy is very difficult if the hidden markers keep reappearing as your units move across the map.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good call. Another way is to have unit markers fade with time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SenorBeef:

Good call. Another way is to have unit markers fade with time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That should be easier to code I'd think. Say 4 turns and the markers disappear?

The idea is very, very good. Something similar happens in my beloved Harpoon series. If you lose a contact and find it again later, it is shown as a brand new contact. So, if you are tracking 'Skunk-1' with active sonar, lose it when switching to passive and 'hear' it again when switching back to active, it is shown as 'Skunk-2'. Based on the proximity of both contacts and the traffic of the zone scanned, you have to figure out wether it is the same old contact or a brand new one.

Sometimes it is actually a new one, and it bothers me quite a lot when I am not prepared for it.

My only objection is the actual code to make that happen. Try to imagine a map full of wood and open tiles, in which contacts are constantly appearing and disappearing. In a few turns, the game engine would have hundreds of lost contact markers around the whole battlefiend plus the actual units to track, and it would have to track LOS separately to each and every marker.

Fading would be a lot easier, but not half as realistic.