scenerios..

no spoiler

long story short

germans----->x

building --> |_|

hedge----> ----------

|_x| x

------------------------------------------

ok i move my american squads to the hedgerow.. they see germans and shoot at them... then all of a sudden they charge the building and get slaughtered/broken..

AAHHHHHHHHH! i say huh??

then i realize that the hq unit was eleminated so i think ok no leaders = squads all confused..ok

then i move my overwatch squads up and this time keep the hq unit out of the hedgerow.. boom!!!!! all my over watch squads (3)

charge same house.. results

1 hq eleminated

3 rifle squads elem.

2 squads broken one left map

1 squad w/ 4 guys left

1 hq unit untouched

now allso i noticed that the squads did nothing when status said ok

then i changed to casous then alerted once the status changed to alerted thats when they charged..

is it me?? my squads never didthis before and ive used this tactic before..

------------------

Berlin calling, Berlin calling,

when Berlin calls it pays to listen.....

[This message has been edited by Dogface (edited 01-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dogface (edited 01-16-2001).]

I have had similar experience as patboivin when playing the Cheneux scenario (a night battle), but I played it last with the beta 1.1b23 version.

In nightime battles, visibility is reduced to about 50 meters.

Were the Americans in fully open ground when fired on, Dogface? I have gotten the impression from personal play that if troops are in open ground AND within 50 meters or so of some "cover", the troops will make for that cover even if the cover brings them closer to the known enemy troops.

If you can run the scenario again, Dogface, see what distance from the house (or hedge) that the American troops are as they try to "rush" toward the house.

the us troops were regular.. (i gave them oatmeal that morning..)

the were just inside the hedgerow the germans were in a building (+ axis hq unit in foxhole to the side of building) 30 - 40 meters from

the us troops. the germans were in the closest building only two anyway and the americans were exchanging fire w/them for about twenty seconds or so before the rush.