Veiwpoint One and Full FOW

The recent sidetracked FOW discussion now locked for good reasons reminded me of a hotseat game I have been playing, that I wish could be coded for PBEM play. Using random terrain and weather, my opponent and I have agreed to restrict ourselves to viewpoint One. That is the ground level viewpoint and it is very interesting. First, you live the terrain, understanding its nooks and crannies much better than using 3 or 4, but you must spend a lot of time roaming it during actions to see things. With full FOW, you really have to be on the ball to keep you attacks on track or defend effectively.

Even more interesting would be a FOW setting coded into the game that restricted your viewpoint to units with radios at setting one, with an abstract version of the overhead view to simulate the commanders map. Recon would really mean recon that way.

Back in the day, I believe there was some discussion of using viewpoints 1 and 7 only and wearing headphones, thereby achieving Total Immersion Modeℱ. I think VR glasses would really put the cherry on that.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

[This message has been edited by Hakko Ichiu (edited 01-07-2001).]

Rereading my post I realised it sounds more negative than I meant. The idea is attractive enough that I tried it, after all. As Slapdragon says, if there was a pop-up unit list to select the next unit from, the idea would probably become viable. Actually, I would like to see a unit-list-popup key available, full stop. Would save me having to turn on those coloured bases all the time just to try to find all my stuff...

View 1 only is a grat idea! But may be with the opportunity to check a 2D Map of the battlefield.

If possible, I wouldn't like to see the foe experience level(regular, veteran...)too. And

I would like to have more FOW against tank('gun hit' or 'immobilisation' or 'abandonned' not always visible. I just read a book where some german soldiers in russia are attacked by a 'wrecked' KV... It would be very cool to have 'false' wreck smile.gif

View 1 only with a map would not be a beginners game of course, more like something you would build as a tourney or hard core experience, especially if you restricted the action to unit POV. The game I just finished was great, and we both sweated things like mad. He had a pair of M18s, my personal favorite hit and run tank, and really did a number on my STUGs until I could blow them with a Panzerschreck team., the worst thing being that they were hard to keep track of.

Guest aka PanzerLeader

I am very much in favour of SlapDragon's idea, my dream being to make CM even more a simulation than before...

I have another idea(maybe for CM2), I know it has been discussed to death a long time ago(April? May?), just wanted to bring it back on topic: how come you know the map so well before a battle, especially as an attacker? Detailed maps at the tactical level were not abundant in WW2, especially on the Russian Front. So on the overall 2D map, as in SlapDragon's suggestion, there may be some approximations, such as "A river is located somewhere here", or "Medium sized village at this road junction" etc. Only the defender, who has presumably dug in and knows the battlefield well, would have access to more precise maps.

There are a host of other improvements that could be done in that direction, but BTS won't put them in probably because it would scare those who don't have much experience with wargames and FOW...Maybe an option?