Great Idea!!!

Guest Solid Snake

Guest Solid Snake

How bout when the MG troops fire 250 rounds

they can do a barrel change which takes about a minute and a half in a half

feedbacks?

When MGs jam, some of the time that's because the crew is switching barrels.

Hi, Dad!

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

It doesn't take a minute and a half to change out the barrel for a MG42:

"...After putting the weapon on SAFE, the gunner or his assistant reaches forward to the right of the receiver and pushes the barrel cover lock forward. This simultaneously disengages the barrel and levers it partially out of the jacket. Using the issue felt pad or other insulating material, pull the hot barrel the rest of the way out of the jacket and place it in the open spare barrel carrier. Grab the cool one from the other side of the carrier and slide it forwards into place. Slamming the cover shut automatically seats the barrel extension end, and you are ready to keep shooting. No tricky adjustments for headspace are needed because the barrels are preset for each gun and bolt combination. An experienced gunner can accomplish this change and be back in action in six seconds or less."

Top view barrel change, note the barrel change lever and the barrel extension:

barrelchange.jpg

R. Bruce, German Automatic Weapons of World War II

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with minute-and-a-half barrel changes for MGs after "250" rounds. SOP for the MG42 was 5-7 round bursts (in the light MG42role), about 22 of these bursts a minute ~ 154 rounds or so. Why? Because the operator can not hold his gun on target for anything longer, i.e. he'll have to spend time re-aquiring the target after a long inaccurate burst. In the heavy MG role the cyclic rate was @ 25 rounds/burst. You are correct though. It was recommended to switch out the barrel after 250 rounds.

-John

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 03-29-2001).]