Combat Use of the SU-76. SP gun or TD?

How was this SP gun used? I have read that it was used as a TD and a SP. What was its main purpose?

Here is the suff I have on it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> From Armoured Fighing Vehicales

Had a crew of 4, weight was 10,600kg, range was 280 miles armor up to 25mm (.98 inches)

One ZIS-3 76mm gun and had a Top speed of 28mph.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SU.jpg

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzerman:

How was this SP gun used? I have read that it was used as a TD and a SP. What was its main purpose?

Here is the suff I have on it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The SU-76 was the light SU class (SU-85, SU-100,& SU-122 were medium class & SU-152, ISU-122, ISU-152 were Hvy) was generaly used for DF Inf supt, as well as an AT platform when conditions permitted.

Regards, John Waters

theres a good verbal history of its use on the russian military website.

It was like a Marder used as a stug. It supported the infantry and acted as a TD once ground was taken. It sort of held on till proper towed weapons could be brought up.

Lewis

Considering it was lightly armoured and open topped, with a moderately powered gun in the same class as the Sherman 75, and it came out about the same time as the first Tigers........well, figure it out for yourself!! smile.gif

The Russians had hoped it would be a tank destroyer, but it wasn't up to the task and was quickly relegated to infantry support. However I'm sure it fired AP if absolutely required to do so.....but they weren't meant for the anti-tank role for most of their life.