PENG!...no just help a poor newbie please

Hi guys! I've played through the CM demo and I just got my copy of the game today. I have a question about mods (all groan)....no really I need help. I know where the mods are and where to get them I just wanted to ask you guys for help before I went and overloaded my comp with mods before even playing the original games.

What I want to know is what mods should I get as someone who is first playing the game. Now before you go and tell me to play the game and decide for myself what I should get-I'm sure that somewhere in the game there is some skin that CM just totally screwed up on and and you cant stand to play with that old skin and you wouldnt want a newbie like myself to even have to experience it. Maybe I should download a tank mod because a certain original tank just looks like total ****! So if you can think of any mods that you think are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT and imperative that I get before even playing the game please list them here.

Oh yes by the way. My copy is a brand new copy from the batch that just came out I believe-am I still going to have to download the patch? Thanks guys!

If you're really a Canadian, and actually play Canadians in the game, you may be interested in my site (link below). I have lo-resolution uniform mods with individual regimental insignia, as well as small corrections to the British battledress (which Canadians didn't wear for the most part). This is not a big deal for most players but is offered for interest's sake. I also have a nice Lee Enfield with sling that is an improvement on the original (tiny details, I know!)

Shadow 1st Hussars has a site with Canadian mods as well; he has some Canadian uniforms, etc.

There are many good terrain mods from CMHQ; I have gotten all my terrain from there, including velvet grass. I also got new faces for the men.

There is a website whose URL escapes me with a complete listing of all mods and where to get them - I am sure it will be posted here soon. I am actually happy with the armour models that come with the game, but there are a lot of beautiful mods out there, too, especially for German armour.

I personally don't like the grey uniforms the Germans wear and downloaded field grey (green) ones from CMHQ and couldn't bear to look at the originals if I had to go back. But that is just me being fussy. The grey uniforms are accurate, I just don't like them.

In the end, go with what you like - none of your opponents will ever see them anyway - they are playing with what THEY like.

------------------

CANUCK: Clothing, Equipping and Employing the Canadian Soldier in Combat Mission

Welcome, Canuck

Here's a few good sites to start to look for mods.

http://combathq.thegamers.net/

http://www.afv-uk.net/cmoutpost/

www.derkessel.com

At the first one, you can d/l mod handling software that makes it very easy to switch mods.

Take your time and do some window shopping. There are a lot of different mods out there. Also look for posts in this forum about mods. Many have links to the sites where you can d/l them.

Personally, I'm a big fan of work (esp. terrain and buildings) of a guy who goes by the nick Magua. His HT mods are outstanding. I also have a fair number of Tiger's vehicle mods and Kitty's King Tiger is very well done. The explosion mod at combathq is a must-have. I'm partial to terrain and vehicles, not so much uniforms and such.

These are just to name a few. There's a lot of people doing good work out there.

The first site has two sections dedicated to mods. The in-house guys (Madmatt , Bil Hardenberger and Kwazydog) have packaged a collection of mods into mod packs. The 3rd party section features submitted mods from various authors.

The opinions expressed here are just that, my opinions.

Can't help you on the patch issue. You can e-mail Steve or Madmatt and probably get a quick answer.

------------------

"Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change." -- Oddball

"Crap." -- Moriarty

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 02-26-2001).]

Frankly, I do not think I have seen a mod that is ****e. We have a very talented group here. One of the best sources is CM Outpost because there are before and after comparisons http://www.afv-uk.net/cmoutpost/

Some personal faves, Anything by Bergman and Fernando...The new HiRes Shermans, esp the winter ones. Then there's Kitty's KT,Pnazertruppen and Magua buildings,Deanco's Gunmetal Interface mod, Tiger's Tigers, esp the grey Tiger (imho the single best work on any tank) the Fernando panthers, the list goes on and on. Look at the thumbnails and you get a sense of what might appeal to you or whether you like it better or worse than what you have.

The main issue is do you have cpu for HiRes stuff. The grasses don't matter as much to me. There is too much CPU hit and somefunny things occur on my Mac.

The only main question is whether to use the subdued tones or the brighter CM tones. It's a matter of personal taste. Me I find the subdued too dark. But alot of people are using them.

I refer you to my cautionary warning at http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/016744.html on the slippery path you are taking.

------------------

If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

If you're really a Canadian, and actually play Canadians in the game...

His email indicates U of W so the only hardware he's interested in is the rigid tool biggrin.gif

(Engineering inside joke for those confused)

------------------

Mein Vater, mein Vater, und hörest du nicht,

Was Erlenkönig mir leise verspricht? -

Sei ruhig, bleibe ruhig, mein Kind;

In dürren Blättern säuselt der Wind.

Stereotypes

The Un-Rant

Well this girl goes to the doctor with an embarrasing problem. Seems she has a large rash on her chest in the shape of a T. "How'd you get that?" says the doc? "My boyfriend plays football for Toronto," she says, "and he likes to wear his letter shirt to bed."

"Ah," says the doc. Put this balm on and it should clear up in a few days.

The next day another young woman visits the doc, this time with a rash in the shape of a W. "Let me guess," says the doc: "Your boyfriend plays football for Waterloo?"

"No," she says shyly, "My girlfriend plays lacrosse for McMaster...."

------------------

Mein Vater, mein Vater, und hörest du nicht,

Was Erlenkönig mir leise verspricht? -

Sei ruhig, bleibe ruhig, mein Kind;

In dürren Blättern säuselt der Wind.

Stereotypes

The Un-Rant