75mm LL70 vs Cromwell

RANT MODE ON

I guess I'm fired up on this at the moment but I just saw my German 75mm LL70 armour peircing shell richocet off the front upper hull of a bloody Cromwell VII. Unless there is some sort of particular strengthening in that part of its hull it's difficult for me to comprehend how this could happen, especially since the Cromwells upper hull is virtually vertical plate with minimal slope.

I know, I know, you're gonna say "**** happens" but the penetration power of those long 75's is pretty awesome, especially at the range of less than 300 metres and I'm wondering what the richocet would be modelling. Poor shell structure?, particularly well made Cromwell hull?.. otherwise I would have thought it would be like a case of knife through butter.

RANT OFF

Regards

Jim R.

Guest KwazyDog

Hehe, to be honest we get these sort of posts often shortly after someone just had it happen to them in a vital pbem game...its suprising how fired up CM seems to get people wink.gif

Kanonier, if you care to provide some further information such as ranges, slope of the target as opposed to the firer and angle the fires was off from the target, etc, chances are we could provide you with an explaination. smile.gif

Dan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Hehe, to be honest we get these sort of posts often shortly after someone just had it happen to them in a vital pbem game...its suprising how fired up CM seems to get people wink.gif

Kanonier, if you care to provide some further information such as ranges, slope of the target as opposed to the firer and angle the fires was off from the target, etc, chances are we could provide you with an explaination. smile.gif

Dan

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, OK, I've calmed down now after taking my medication (just kidding, really) and I suppose it represented the fact that the Cromwell was higher than my AFV and I guess when it hit the upper hull in an upwards fashion the vertical plate simply helped the shell on its way upwards into the sky.

In my defence, that was its 3rd shot at the Cromwell at less than 300 metres with the 1st shot hitting a small rise in front less than 20 metres away from my firing unit... talk about a gumby regular crew. When combined with some other guys topic that he noted first turn kills seemed much more prevalent with the latest patch I was beginning to think I was jinxed or something considering my unit has fired about 10 times or something at various AFV targets less than 500 metres away with very little to show for it apart from scared Allied crews! At this rate my tank will run out of ammo before doing any serious damage. frown.gif

Regards

Jim R.