Gun Damage in Operations

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Whilst playing an Operation recently i came across an Elite King Tiger in overwatch covering a major bridge - i had nothing to deal with it at the time so i sent over 105 arty and some smoke. I apparantly damaged the gun (although i could not see it).

Anyway at the start of the next battle i saw the KT well out of my LOS abandoned!

With this knowledge I was then able to confidently cross the main bridge knowing that the KT was gone. But thats a little unfair.

Surely the abandoned KT that was behind a hill should not have been visible to me until it was in my LoS so that my approach in the next battle would certainly have been different if i thought a KT was lurking around. Secondly i get credit for a knocked out KT when in reality I only damaged its gun and its a damn fine indestructible mobile pillbox that could still be used by my opponent, especially as the KT has a fear factor....i would not know initially that the gun was damaged.

Any thoughts on this ?

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

CM treats abandoned/destroyed vehicles as terrain (to simplify calculations) so they're instantly and automatically visible.

WHen you say "knowing the KT was gone" did you not take into account the Germans may have received reinforcements? In your situation, sallying across the bridge believing 100% that you were unopposed was a tactical error which you were lucky to survive.

DjB

My friend and i were play testing his Operation so i knew more info than i would any other PBEM player.

Maybe for CM 2 abandoned vehicles should only be visible when in LoS - I hope.

Also i think in Operations a gun damaged vehicle should not be abandoned when it still has a full crew and working MG's with ammo.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

I do not understand why abandoned vehicles remain on the field at all. Shouldn't they be retrieved to get repaired? So far I've never get a vehicle back which was either knocked out ( not brewed up )or abandoned due to gun damage or immobilisation.

I'm interested to know if someone else had more luck with vehicle recovery in operations.

On a related note, I had a SPW 251/1 get a "gun hit" (rare, but it does happen) in an operation, and in the second battle the half-track turned up abandoned!

C'mon now! We're talking about transport here, not a combat/assault vehicle. I didn't care whether the MG worked --- I needed the carrying capacity so a PzGdr squad could keep up with the armor.