RETOUCHED SCIPIO SPLINTER HEER picture

Well, it appears that Scipio's excellent Hi-Res Heer uniform thread got buried in the excitemnt of the Normandy release.

Well for those that noticed the thread you may have noticed that it was a wee bit too dark. Well I have remedied that and here's my retouched version. I have also used one cool helmet from Michael Dorosh's German uniform site to complete the look.

IMHO, this is THE best Heer uniform we've had to-date.

Take a look:

View?u=1304730&a=9683026&p=50463664&Sequence=0&res=high

Of course, that Magua's new Normandy terrain there as well. :D

Well I just brightened it up a bit with a couple click-ups on the Brightness control.

Then I sharpened it a wee bit. Used the first level of sharpness (program defaults to the 3rd selection of about 6 initial selections).

Then the pants were originally a dark green. I ironically had a color similar to the greyish color in the tunic in my program color pallete. I used my ol' "Hue & Saturation Only" filter and repainted over the green turning it the greyish color you see in the pic.

The helmet as I mentioned is from Michael Dorosh's German Uniform Site. I just thought it looked best with this uniform.

I can email it to anybody that wants it. I emailed a copy to Scipio already so, maybe he'll post it on his site as version 2 or something.

davem@shawneelink.net

Chickenwire on helmet:

chickenwire.jpg

Incidentally, I like what both of you have done with the splinter smock. I also really like the trousers there; great colour, and they don't have the "I just waded through a pond" look.

To answer your other question posed a while back, Maximus - no, I have no plans on releasing a smock mod based on this helmet covering:

leaf.jpg

Because this is what I was trying to simulate:

helcam.jpg

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Scipio,

Oh now I see why you say my revision is too shiny. On your monitor it appears in fact, that they are. On mine, in-game, they are still pretty dark. Because I'm sure that if I had left them as is, that it would look almost black on my monitor.

As for the chicken-wire Felmutze, that the whole problem with CM as it now is. Every German head gear except for the Volksturm uses the same bitmap. So granted your included 5015 probably does look better for the Gebirgsjager, it doesn't look that great on the Heer. And we all know that there are VERY few scenarios with the G'troops. Besides, Magua has a low-res Heer unform based on the stock, but more greyer and has a photo-realistic helmet texture that looks good on both Heer and GJ. I just thought that the Barb helmet from Dorosh's page looked best with this camo smock.

Anyway...

Michael,

Yeah, once I reread about that helmet with leaves, I knew that that wouldn't make sense to do a tunic based on it. D'OH! (BTW, did you know "D'OH" has now been entered into the English Language Dictionary based on the whole Homer Simpson usage?)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

Okay, I contacted Mr. Kiser from Die Gebirgstruppen page, he wrote :

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just linked to his site, why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the replies - fascinating stuff for a uniform grog!

Yeah, I noticed the right arm when I went to check out the Bergmützen on my mountain troops. Splinter pattern smocks - with field grey arms, and chicken wire on their hats! Very alarming.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

To answer your other question posed a while back, Maximus - no, I have no plans on releasing a smock mod based on this helmet covering:

leaf.jpg

Because this is what I was trying to simulate:

helcam.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Mr. Uniform fetishist smile.gif

do you know if this splinter camo shown/used by Scipio is the one used by the early post-war german statu nascendi Bundesgrenzschutz (border guards) police force?

btw, two notes about those pictures there...

#1 is odd because it seems the entire Wehrmacht is made up of Unteroffiziere ;)

#2 looks suspiciously like pre-war Reichswehr helmets to me, no? tongue.gif

yours,

M.

[edited for smilies]

btw: it seems to me the splinter camo was not very effective, as the germans still did lose the war ;)

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]