New 88 Pub: Grognard stuff for BTS, mod builders, etc.

My brother was in town for a visit, so we headed over to Brookhurst Hobbies in Fountain Valley, California. There I made a couple of juicy discoveries on the magazine rack.

"Deadly Threat," by Thomas L. Jentz. Subtitle is the 88mm Flak 18/36/37 in Combat. This stiff covered, center stapled, glossy stocked 8.5 x 11" monograph is a wargamer's wet dream. I didn't have time to look at the text, but among other goodies were pages of combat photos, including the rare armored SdKfz 7 mounts, fabulous three view blueprint drawings, pictures of 88s firing from open ground and sangars (stacked rock desert emplacements) and from earthen positions with the gun dug in clear up to the barrel. In short, it doesn't look like the public monuments we see in the game. Looked like a must have for those with the budget.

My other discovery was a new photo publication

called AXIS/ALLIES. The one I saw had gorgeous photo coverage of the Kettenkrad, several U.S.

softskins, and practically the Cook's tour of the mid-chassis Bison, including overhead views. Of course, if that appeals to you, then you'll probably want the entire set of Schiffer weapon monographs, too!

Thought you'd like to know.

Regards,

John Kettler