Why is there no 'Reverse' order for guns?

Now I don't know about every gun type used during the war, so I have a picture of guns like the US 105mm. Gun and legs balanced over two wheels. The gun is moved around like a wheel barrow. It's just as easy to move forward as it is reverse. There is no need to swing the gun around to move it 180 degrees backwards.

I've searched on this but I don't find any comment on this. Is there a thread on this I missed?

------------------

CM Rules!

Well I've had experience moving these so called things (even 155mm), and the 105 is SMALL, a 3 to 4 guys can tool it around(more if the ground is rough). Now a 155 takes more and I definately say 'get a truck' for any distance over a mm, but the 105mm isn't quite the same monster.

[This message has been edited by Radar (edited 04-05-2001).]

What about AT guns? They were manhandled by crews to move them forward. Now I'm talking about the 2pounder, 37mm, and 50mm. Maybe even the 57mm. Not sure about the 75mm AT. There are photographs and commentaries about moving AT guns forward by hand from the early war years. However CM will be stuck in the late 40's for at least another version = CM2.

The early years and the Desert, will be the wildest fun. You wait and see.

------------------

"Too much of a good thing...

is wonderful." -- Mae West

I mean, they don't move in reverse..Why not? The crew has to pull up on the leggs and the rest of the crew goes to the front of the gun and pushes. Is that not right?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

What about AT guns? They were manhandled by crews to move them forward. Now I'm talking about the 2pounder, 37mm, and 50mm. Maybe even the 57mm.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had this discussion about a month ago. The consensus then was that anything bigger than a 50mm PaK 38 would be too hefty to move very quickly or very far by hand.

Michael

Yes, I know ya can't tool around like it was a Radio Flyer and all, but I just don't see why there is no reverse move order for guns. What I'm saying is that if the crew can move the gun forward then they can move it equally in reverse. Cannon cockers doen't flip a 180 to move the gun 20 meters in reverse(unless the slope was severe, but thats another matter). They push it backwards.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radar:

Yes, I know ya can't tool around like it was a Radio Flyer and all, but I just don't see why there is no reverse move order for guns. What I'm saying is that if the crew can move the gun forward then they can move it equally in reverse. Cannon cockers doen't flip a 180 to move the gun 20 meters in reverse(unless the slope was severe, but thats another matter). They push it backwards.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, when I put up my post I forgot to mention that I agree with that part.

smile.gif

Michael

[ 04-07-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Agreed. Pushing or pulling the gun in either direction seems logical. I too have wondered why this is not possible. Is there anyone else that has experience with this in the real world? I hope BTS considers changing this for CM2 unless this was just not possible in the real world.

[ 04-08-2001: Message edited by: Panther131 ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panther131:

Is there anyone else that has experience with this in the real world?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Anyone else than me, you mean? ;)

My experience is that pulling by the trail is the normal way to move guns. (Especially when we were running with the gun.)

Pushing with the "sharp" end first was done only when moving into the firing position.

Cheers

Olle