Difference Between Sniper and Sharpshooter...SPR

I think the role of Snipers has been mis interpreted due to popular fiction. They are most valuable as a means of controlling movement. Once they have made a "kill", members of the victim's unit will be reluctant to enter the area. There will be the occaisional "score" against a high ranking officer, but, these tend to be targets of opportunity. Think about how you handle them in CM. Do you ignore them ?

Originally posted by The_Capt:

I am not sure of what the use in WWII was but...An inf Bn (Canadian one anyway) has a recce platoon in which the traditional "sniper" supports the Bn and Bde in Long Range Patrolling etc. These guys crawl around in "gilly" (sp?) suits, eat snakes and pick off en COs.

Just to reaffirm my other post - in WW II, this was called the Scout and Sniper Platoon, and did indeed perform recce tasks in addition to sharpshooting. I have seen some WW II Canadian pams on how to make a ghillie suit, though I don't know how commonly they were actually used - scouts and snipers did get issued Denison smocks for camouflage purposes, and the camouflage face veil was often used as well.

I don't believe snakes were de rigeur for your average WW II sniper however...I would love to locate a first person account by a Brit or Canadian WW II sniper, their role and actions don't seem to be well documented. Perhaps someone can point me in the direction of such a thing?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

[bI would love to locate a first person account by a Brit or Canadian WW II sniper, their role and actions don't seem to be well documented. Perhaps someone can point me in the direction of such a thing?

With British Snipers to the Reich by Captain C. Shore is excellent.

It's effectively a collection of first hand sniper accounts, technical differences between British, US and German sniping, a theory on the best use of sniping in general, and a full write up on all small arms used in World War II.

I understand that the Canadians had the No. 4 rifle as well, so much of technical stuff would be relevant.

Yer best bet is to go to www.greenhillbooks.com and spend some monopoly money (dollars).

OOPs my mistake. redface.gif Yes the term sharpshooter comes from the civil war. Morgan's Rifles were concidered marksmen.But I think the relevence is still there. This is the first time that a unit actually practiced to hit an individual instead of using volley fire.

Interesting topic with "Enemy at the gates"

coming out. Who will be the last one on this board to see that one? And who will be the first to pick it apart as inaccurate?

Originally posted by Mlapanzer

And who will be the first to pick it apart as inaccurate?

LOL...ain't that the truth! Ever since I started playing CM it's like I can't avoid seeing all the inaccuracies!

Anyway, as of late I have been using sharpshooters sort of like they were presented in SPR. Meaning I keep them with a platoon as just another supporting unit. Having them accompany the point squad has had some nice affects. If I use them to scout they usually end up dying and if I use them in more of a sniper role I tend to forget about them.