Map 'work in progress' - feedback please

Just asking some general feedback (good or bad) on a map I'm making....

River Valley

RV3.jpg

Its a small farming community with manor house situated at one end of a river valley.

Not really 'Russian' terrain but more suited to late war .....

Hoping to make is suitable for a mech attack/defend.

RV2.jpg

Its still a work in progress and there is more to do, especially at the attackers end of the map.

Its my first attempt at a map and I'd be interested in a few ideas on how to improve it !!

Anybody know if CMBB maps will import into the CMAK editor ???? As I was making it i thought it may be better re-worked as an Italian map !

Thanks

Concur, good job Lou. smile.gif

No criticism , watch the amount of "physical" challenge the map might present to an attacker. Soft ground/ rough areas really cut down on offensive options. Spotters on the attacking side shouldn't , as a rule be spoon fed with primo spotting locations up front. Arty Spotters give the player a more realistic feel when they have to "work" a little for their kills.

You have roads that demonstrate some realistic connectivity (which is a MUST IMHO). Roads that meander over terrain that would make an Engineer puke is a recurring issue in so many maps I have seen...... :(

I agree, it looks very promising :eek: .. not to criticize, but for a mech attack, perhaps cut the rough terrain slightly, as Brigadier suggested? vehicles can struggle against inf if there is a lot of ambush sites etc.. this could also be a strength though smile.gif . And this map could look real good as a Northern Italy map as well (perhaps with slight modifications, but nothing big). Looks very promising indeed (NOTHING like a QB :D ), looking forward to playing it

Thanks again for feedback.

I've altered some of the terrain to allow the attacker some alternate approaches to the village for infantry.

I'm considering extending the map behind the village as there is a particular type of scenario that I want to try create. (first map + first scenario).

I'm hoping to plan it so the defender has a small amount of troops in the village at the start of turn 1.

The bulk of the defenders forces will be a little way behind the village as I want to force the defender to move his units into town and establish a more 'hasty defence'.

Putting guns, troops etc into position once the game is running rather than viewing every possible LOS during the setup phase.

Obviously I'll need to slow down the attacker, so I'm considering a small recce force moving up the valley ... maybe meeting a split squad of defenders near one of the bridges or being harrassed by a couple of sharpshooters. Then the main attacking force turns up as reinforcements.

Anybody played this type of battle before ?

I've played quite a few attack/defend scenarios and as defender I have almost always checked every single LOS during the setup to find the best positions, then there is usually little to do in the first few turns apart from wait for the attacker to show him self.

Again ..... any feedback would be welcome...

I've never played a scenario as the defender where I have had to tow my guns into position and mount a defence with the game running ... Would this scenario work ?

Any suggestion on force size or units ... I'm planning on having the Axis as defender ... late war facing the Russian advance into eastern europe.

As for Italy .... its my plan to import this into CMAK if it is possible and rework it as central/northern Italian map.

Thanks