Rules

Allow me to apologize in advance as I am sure this has been discussed many times before, but can anyone post links or information on where I can find general rules for CM, such as CAL or Short-75 (two names which I have recently seen on the discussion list)?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zphil74:

Allow me to apologize in advance as I am sure this has been discussed many times before, but can anyone post links or information on where I can find general rules for CM, such as CAL or Short-75 (two names which I have recently seen on the discussion list)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no problem

try here:

http://tournamenthouse.com/CM/CAL/THCAL.shtml

These "guidelines" for fair play were adapted from Fionn's Rules.

please see the above link for the nicely laid out tables of what is included and what is excluded from each catagory for armour.

this what they say (mostly):

COMBINED ARMS LEAGUE

June 25, Monday, 2001

Tournamenthouse Combined Arms League Rule Set

Tournamenthouse Combined Arms League              

These Rules are not intended to be historically accurate. Their intent is to provide a level playing field for League Play with Combat Mission Beyond Overlord. (Modified from Fionn Kelly’s rules for Tournamenthouse CAL play by Abbott).

Game Types

There are four game types, one of which that may be agreed upon before the setup of the game. They are:

Recon. Rule.

Short-75.

Panther-76

Heavy Armor.

Maps

Quick battles Upon entering the game during setup and seeing the map a player has the right to decline the setup and ask for another if he feels the map favors one player or the other.

Custom maps agreed on by the players are also an option.  A third party may be engaged to purchase and setup forces for both players.

Settings

The setting of “Combined Arms” (exception, Heavy Armor rules) will be used in conjunction with games played under these rules.

Force Type

Only one force type for German and Allied sides may be chosen. Example: German “Heer” Allied “British”.

Weather

Weather settings are up to the player’s decision/agreement. Random Weather is the suggested setting, which if used will add a “unknown” factor into many games.

Guns

Towed guns will be limited to no more then 3 per side up to 1000 points spent. 1 gun per 1000 points spent thereafter. (Example 2,000-point game up to 4 guns allowed per side, 5,000-point game up to 7 guns per side). This includes all guns from the “support” category of CMBO. 

The Attacking player and both players in Meeting Engagements will purchase halftracks or trucks capable of towing each gun purchased. (This makes the increased costs of guns something to consider and sometimes will add the missing Halftracks back into the force mix). Jeeps and Kulbewagon type vehicles will not count towards this total.

German SMG Troops

German SMG platoons and Volksgrenadier armed with SMG will be limited to no more then 3 platoons allowed per game. Unless otherwise agreed upon by the player’s before setup.

3 Platoons of SMG troops or Volksgrenadiers armed with SMG’s can be a tough force to meet in smaller point games at times so excluding SMG troops and Volksgrenadiers armed with SMG’s is also an option that can be agreed upon and does impart some balance.   

Bunkers & Aircraft

Bunkers and Aircraft should be EXCLUDED for games played under 'Recon Rule', 'Short-75 Rule' and Panther-76 Rule' unless both players agree to their inclusion from the outset and can prepare accordingly.

Artillery

1. Recon Rule - up to and including 81mm caliber.

2. Short-75 Rule - up to and including 107mm caliber. (British 4.2-inch mortars are included).

3. Panther-76 Rule - up to and including 155mm caliber.

4. Heavy Armor rule- all types from CMBO included.

RECON RULE

The 'Recon Rule' game allows vehicles, including light tanks, to be included but limited to those with maximum 50mm guns. The Germans can field Pumas.

Halftracks, mortar carriers and flame-thrower vehicles are all allowed, but not flame-thrower tanks.

60mm, 75mm and 81mm mortars and FO’s are all allowed, 81mm being the maximum.

There is no limit to the size of towed guns permitted.

SHORT-75 RULE

Anti-Tank guns are not on the excluded list, although deadly to tanks, they are highly vulnerable to shelling and infantry attack.

Tanks with larger caliber weapons such as the 95mm, 105mm, and 150mm guns are included as they do not fire AP rounds, and carry a very limited number of hollow core ©.

Short-75 Rule

Heavy Armor

Games, which are agreed upon to include heavy armor (no exclusions from the purchasable armor units included in CMBO) will only include the following rules listed above. Weather, Guns and SMG Troops. All caliber’s of artillery (FO’s) are allowed as are Bunkers and Aircraft. A setting of Unrestricted or Armor may be needed for smaller point battles, which include the heavy armor units.

Optional Rules Click Here

CAL PLAY

The Combined Arms League is setup to offer players a league to play in that encourages tactical play style. We are trying to avoid "Powergamer" play that exploits weakness in CMBO’s game engine or force mix. When you sign on to play in CAL a set of Guidelines is in place to assist with CAL play style.

CAL contact at Tournamenthouse  abbott@tournamenthouse.com

Whatever rules you choose to play by just be sure your opponent agrees with all of them before starting the battle. Proper communication before hand is the key to enjoyable League play.

I would like to thank Fionn Kelly for the original ideas and Cyberfox and Tomcat from Rugged Defense for their cooperation and additions.