Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Dust clouds?

Sorry but my search don't works so I don't know if the thread was explored before.

The dust raised by heavy vehicles in the arid grounds of Southern Russia (and obviously more in the ultra future NorthAfrican Desert ) could be done in game terms (as LOS reduction as the fog/rain) and in enemy "warning" like the actual sound?

Thanks

Massimo

I hope to see something like this included. You are right that dust clouds were important in various ways in NA and other locales. I'd love to see a full, accurate modeling of this, but wouldn't expect to see it before the engine rewrite, if then. In the meanwhile, MikeyD's suggestion sounds doable.

While on the subject of dust, it would also be nice to have general obscuration on the battlefield modeled. This would be a product of smoke and dust from explosions and burning terrain, etc. But again, I'm not holding my breath for this.

Michael

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

BTS has said that smoke, shadows, and the like would require changing the game engine for retracing and making a lot more objects more complex polygons. All of that would kill the game's playability (right now at least) or would restrict you to platoon fights.

They did however, not rule it out for the new engine, and likely a new graphics rendering system will be in the works.

Actually, a general obscuration might not be that difficult to do. I'm not thinking of something requiring a graphic representation, just that as the battle progresses and more and more HE goes off and more and more terrain and vehicles catch fire, the LOS gets shorter and shorter as the air becomes denser.

You could even have it specifically more effected where it passes close to a recent barrage or a fire.

Michael