A question -- Re: Spread Pattern of artillery + mortars

I recall Bullethead's spread pattern thread on arty (gun batteries via FO's + mortar/rockets).

--------------------------------------------

I quote inter alia:

MORTARS: Regular Spread

Firing with LOS to TRP: 150x60m, oriented E-W

Firing Blind to TRP: ditto

Firing with LOS only: ditto

Firing Blind only: 250x100m, oriented E-W

--------------------------------------------

My specific question:

Is the spread always oriented East to West (oval shaped) in relation to the end-point of the order line -- that is, always to the left and right of the target order line end-point? On application this, I assume, given the above example, will be a spread (with LOS to the TRP) of roughly 75m to the left and 75m to right, with a North/South spread of 30m and another 30m respectively, the "middle" of this oval shape being where the end-point of the target line ends?

Will be grateful if someone could chime in here, as a current PBEM battle hinges on my FO's braking the will to fight of some well identified troop concentrations in mediocre cover. Their dug-in pattern resembles a huge football, 100m from end to end in width, with roughly 50m in diameter.

Kind regards,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

From my experience the pattern or "footprint" has to do with from which side of the board you own at game start. The oval always seems to point perpendicular to my "side". So if I start a game on the East or West side the footprint runs E-W. North-South do the same thing. It makes sense if you think of your guns/mortars being behind you.

The_Capt,

Mmmm interesting. I started (own the board) on the south side, facing north, and my FO's are about to fire to a concentration of troops on my right flank (due East), these troops are "dug in" along a line that runs parallel to the south side edge (my base line). Their oval shape concentrations stretches W-E, parallel to my South border line.

If I understand correctly, the oval spread or "footprint" about to be fired will be now still East-West (my base being South) and not North-South on either side of my target end line?

From your friendly side the artillery forms a oval which is wider on the axis that comes towards and heads away from you, and it has the narrower axis form your left to right.

In all CM maps you have to have a "friendly" side for each opponent.

Jeff

Now the next related question:

Do this impact spread/footprint differ for artillery batteries/guns (105mm) v offboard mortars (81mm spotters)?

Reading Bullethead's thread above, there seems to be no clear answer.

Regards,

Charl Theron

Wow good question!

Without having tested it my gut feel from experience is that higher calibre have larger footprints. On board mortars tightly sighted will give a very tight footprint while 7.2 inch guns are much larger.

That is a short answer but I think some teating is required here.