Company and Battaliin HQ?

I posted this on tips and tricks and didn't get much response so I am asking this question here. I am asking about the benefits of company and battaliion hq. Am I missing something but I don't use company+ hqs for much. I use them as a spotter for on board morters and as a substitute platoon hq if they happened to get knocked out. But i can not find much else to use them for. I rarely play battles that are big enough for battalion hqs but when I do I don't have anything for them to do. I usually just place company/battalion HQs out of harms way so they don't get waxed. I am missing out on there benefits or not?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cooper:

I posted this on tips and tricks and didn't get much response so I am asking this question here. I am asking about the benefits of company and battaliion hq. Am I missing something but I don't use company+ hqs for much. I use them as a spotter for on board morters and as a substitute platoon hq if they happened to get knocked out. But i can not find much else to use them for. I rarely play battles that are big enough for battalion hqs but when I do I don't have anything for them to do. I usually just place company/battalion HQs out of harms way so they don't get waxed. I am missing out on there benefits or not?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The also have a longer command radius, so they can be plugged into a defensive screen ready for the death of a command unit, at which time they automatically take over, but they can be positioned to provide this emergency service for a number of units.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

The also have a longer command radius, so they can be plugged into a defensive screen ready for the death of a command unit, at which time they automatically take over, but they can be positioned to provide this emergency service for a number of units.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recall someone else mentioning Bn HQs have a longer command radius as well, however that isn't evident in the game. The command radius is related to experience and the Command bonus only, not type of HQ. There is a simple article about HQs and their uses(Coy and Bn), co-written by argie and myself, posted at CMHQ. It also details the various command ranges and delays for those so inclined.

Ron

Company or battalion HQs do not have any inherit command bonuses greater than platoon HQs. As mentioned above, company and battalion HQs are useful as backup platoon leaders and as spotters for on map artillery and for commanding support weapons (MGs). Some other useful uses of these HQs are for acting as an extra HQ if you wish to split up platoon(s). They are also good for rallying broken troops that have fled to the rear. Several times the presence of a company HQ has saved me from defeat.

The best thing about these units is their ability to command anyone, not just the units of their own platoon or teams. So you can transfer a squad from a platoon to them, or one each from several. They are the flexible part of your organization.

You can contruct an additional platoon around them, "drafted" from the rest of your force, with anything in it you like. Or you can use them to rally a platoon whose own HQ has broken, starting out with just FOs and a few teams perhaps, and picking up combat forces during the battle.

Two different examples. A German player takes a VG company, a 4th platoon of VG rifles, 3 HMGs, 2 schrecks, and a 81mm mortar FO. He has 5 HQs counting the company. The two VG rifle platoons each "donate" a squad to the company HQ, and command an HMG team "instead".

These then get the flanks, with squad, HMG, squad, platoon HQ behind them. These ad hoc platoons thus have 1 HMG, 2 LMG, 9 rifles, 2 MP44, 6 MP40s. They have enough MPs for close in defense against overrun, but specialize in ranged fire.

The two SMG platoons each get a schreck and get the forward and center positions. They keep all their squads, and thus present 2 LMG and 24 MP40 apiece, very high close range firepower. As farthest forward they also have the schrecks.

In the center rear, the company HQ takes the 3rd HMG and 1 squad from each of the flanks, and thus makes a 5th platoon just like the flank ones, specializing in ranged fire. The FO is also with this formation. From its center position, they can support any of the other platoons by fire, as well as move in any direction to reinforce. The overall pattern is a "W", with the two lower prongs SMG, the 3 rearward ones HMG and rifle squads.

Or, take another example from a typical American company, attacking say. One platoon takes "point", and transfers the squad with the most rifle grenades to the company HQ, and has no teams attached. It can scout ahead with two half-squads, and support with one squad and the HQ; its HQ is one good at morale but little else. It is expected to run into the enemy, but do little at first besides location him, and overrun any LMGs or snipers encountered. It is fast and light.

The next platoon is the overwatch platoon, with the HQ that has the best combat rating. It gets both MMGs and a zook, and keeps all three squads. It thus has good ranged firepower and medium speed.

The third platoon keeps three squads and takes the 2nd zook, and is commanded by the best overall platoon HQ, or at least the stealthiest if they aren't very good. It is the reserve, and its mission is a close assault "charge" at the right point, after the overwatch platoon has shot up the location.

The weapons HQ is on mortar spotting duty, with just 2 60mm mortars. It trails the overwatch platoon. The HQ can thus take command of the MMGs if necessary, freeing up the rest of the overwatch platoon for fast movement. In the meantime, the HQ can focus just on getting a good spotting location, as hidden as possible, while keeping 2 mortars in command range.

The company HQ then gets a grab bag - one squad w/ rifle grenades from the point platoon, the last zook, the 50 cal, the last 60mm mortar, and the FO. If possible, a vehicle (tank or haltrack) is attached to carry the 50 cal and 60mm mortar and increase speed and firepower. It can then reinforce at "fast" speed with a squad HQ and zook if a crisis develops anywhere, and more if the vehicle is available.

It can suppport with spotted mortar fire and off-board arty, fire from long range with the 50 cal, stalk a tank with zook and rifle grenade squad. It is a flexible little force of 33 men. It can defend places, rally others, and support directly or by fire.

Flexibility, that is what the higher level HQs give you in combat. Use them to task the other HQs and tailor forces to particular missions, or to assemble a "platoon" with just the composition you want.

I hope this is useful.

Put a Company CO or BN CO (or platoon CO) with a morale bonus with a group of like 4 AT guns and watch them go to work. If you can ambush some tanks within your arc of fire the guns may last (depending on experience) against counter-barrages (especially if in the woods, reverse-sloped, and in foxholes!)