Rommels book of tactics

I know this is slightly out of place here but........

I'm led to believe that Erwin Rommel published a document on tactics before he left for Tripoli to command the Afrika Corp. I believe it was mainly based around the use of the highly mobile panzer divisions.

Does anyone know if a version was ever translated into english?

Does anyone know where i may be able to track down of copy of it?

Any help is greatly appreciated before the thread is locked up.

"The Rommel Papers" was edited by B.H. Liddel Hart and is a sort of autobiography by Rommel, published after his death. It is excellent and really goes into detailed strategies of his style of warfare, all in his own hand except for a couple places where one of his adjutants "fills in missing pieces."

I also know Rommel wrote a book on Infantry tactics before the outbreak of war and based on his command of a recce battalion in WWI.

I don't know of any book on Armour tactics by Rommel. For that you have to go to Guderian, the Panzer Leader himself.

The Rommel Papers is a collection of letters and writings by Rommel. There are holes in the collection as a result of post war seizures of documentes collected by Rommels wife by American Army Intelligence Services. Some of these documentes taken from Rommel’s wife have apparently never been recovered.

One prominent gap is the Crusader Battles of November 1941. The section in the “Rommel Papers” covering this portion of the desert campaign was actually written for BH Liddell Hart by Fritz Bayerlein.

Regarding books actually written by Rommel, I have not heard of a book called “Armor in the Attack” other than a brief snippet in the movie “Patton” where Patton is shouting something to the effect of “Rommel I read your book” after the battle of El Gutar. Sitting on Patton's nightstand is a book called “Armor in the Attack” by Erwin Rommel. I'm thinking this is F.F. Coppula's artistic license coming through. It would be interesting if anyone can find some additional evidence on the existence of this book.

“Infantry Attacks” was First published in 1937 as "Infanterie Greift An" and in 1944 as "Infantry Attacks" by the "US ARMY Infantry Journal", a military classic on infantry tactics in World War I. Apparently written from Rommel’s own experiences as commander of an Wurttemburg Mountain Infantry Battalion. He covers operations in Belgium, France, the Argonne and the Vosge Mountains 1914-15. Then the Rumanian offensive of 1917 and the great offensive into Italy 1917 where his battalion was involved in very heavy fighting. The legend goes that after reading the book in 1938, Hitler was so impressed he appointed Rommel to his staff. Very inovative and seemingly anticipates StossTruppen tactics employed in 1918 in Operation Michael. Roots of German WWII infantry tactical doctrine.

The book apparently sold ½ million copies in Germany by early 1941 (this is referenced in “The Rommel Papers” in a letter from Rommel to his wife in which Rommel is discussing the royalties money he has just received from the publisher). No doubt having sold such a large number of copies of this book in Germany during the war, its impact was profound upon German WWII Infantry doctrine and tactics.

Infantry Attacks was an excellent book. I urge anyone interested in Rommell, WW1, or war itself to give it a read. I liked it much more than MacDonald's "Company Commander". Don't get me wrong though, Company Commander was a great read too. Currently I'm reading

" The Bloody Forrest", a book about the Huertgen offensive by Astor. Not that it has anything concerning tactics, it's just a good book. :D