Exiting

So I'm fighting a custom mirrored battle where both sides are trying to exit off the ends of the map. I come upon a couple gun emplacements. They, being kinda mobile, are supposed to exit. Is it worth more to me to bypass them or kill them?

And on the defensive end, by the same token, if I have some units that won't make it to the other end, better to suicide charge them if it looks like I'm being bypassed, or hide and survive?

If I understand the exit rules, it should be better to bypass the nme who can't exit as their points for not exiting are worth more to me than killing them.

Fate

Well, it's a pretty artificial situation, both sides having to exit opposite sides of the map. I can't picture how this would occur in a actual battle.

There is no stated mission objective, but it would be get as many of your guys to exit while denying the other guy exit opportunities.

But we're down to the short strokes, not too many moves left, the game seems very close, and I have the ability to take out a gun with mortar at no danger to myself.

So I wish to maximize my points and fufill another unspoken mission objective, which is to win.

Hence my question, more points to leave the gun there (which is required to exit) or blow it up?

From one viewpoint, you could say this gun is effectively captured, and why waste ammo on it, from the other, it's still alive and dangerous and should be killed.

So I'm going to follow the first viewpoint and bypass it. Besides, I think that'll get me more points. smile.gif

Fate

If you are thinking too hard about the victory points, you will lose some of what the game is about, imo.

If I was out there, you had orders to get from point A to point B, and there was an isolated unit out there still alive, I would not feel to motivated to risk my life precious for it.

Everybody on the map would want to finish the game with a pulse. You get a better picture of battle if you play with these motivations.

The points are supposed to (in a perfect world) reward realistic behavior, and if find yourself in a situation where they arent doing that, forget about the points.

Outstanding point Captain Foobar. I myself will have to try to remember that. I get so wrapped up in killing things I lose track of my real mission. In real life you sure would go around it if possible and not waste men's lives. Well, that damn sqad leader of mine would have but he was nuts anyway. :D