Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Will the true MG42 please step forward?

Actually, my question refers to the various sound mods. I have noticed that there are quite a few games that claim realistic sounds for the weapons and yet they can still sometimes sound very different from each other. I know some of it has to do with sound sample quality, but there are so many variations. What I would like to know is what sound mod has the most realistic weapon sounds? For example, I have never seen or heard a real MG42 go off so I can't judge for myself. The MG42 sound from CC2, CC3, and the various sound mods for CM are quite different from one another. Which one is closest? I currently use Scipios for the light MG42 and Mad Dog Pack's for the heavy MG42. It's a nice effect, but realistic? Eh, beats me.

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Commissar ]

Good question. I would like some answers on this also. Scipio's "ripping" super-frightening MG-42s in particular sound nothing like any of the other sounds.

Also, can someone post (or post a link to) a list of all of the .wav files for CM, which shows the weapon for each sound? I cannot seem to find one recently.

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Runyan99 ]

I've seen on the History Channel a bit for German infantry weapons for WWII. For the MG42, they showed a take from a U.S. training film in taking down a MG42 team... you know, where they say the MG42's "bark is worse than its bite." Anyhow, there were captured MG34's and MG42's side by side. They fired them seperately and the sound between the two were quite different. You can actually distinguish the individual shots going off on the '34, but the "ripping" sound was quite surprising to me. Reminds me of a gun going off from modern fighter aircraft since you can't distinguish individual shots.

The stock MG42 sound effect that comes with CM really isnt to bad. I have several German Training films with the MG42 in them...it seemed to make sort of a distinct rapid "farting\ripping" sound. Get your hands on the training film "Men Against Tanks". It has numerous bursts from an MG42 in the training film.