Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Can 20mm flak take out T-34s?

...ordered them to concentrate automatic fire on the tracks of the advancing T-34s. Nobody was optimistic as to the likely outcome, but there remained little else they could do. ... They held their fire until the tanks had approached to within 200m. A burst of fire smashed the track of the leading T-34, which began to turn helplessly around on the same spot. Guns were then ordered to concentrate fire on the turrent. Even before the first magazine emptied, the turrent lid flipped open and a white flag appeared. The Russian crew clambored out and were taken prisoner. Meanwhile the cone of 20mm fire was switched to the left and another T-34 similiarly disabled.

Instead of surrendering, the crew of this vehicle chose to fight with small arms as they emerged. They were cut to pieces by multiple impacts of 20mm cannon explosions which sparked and spluttered around the hull. Other tanks met the same fate. Crews were scythed down at any sign of resistance. The rest of the T-34s turned back. It was inconcievable ...that their insignificant calibre cannon could have triumphed against tanks considered the heaviest of their type.

...They moved forward curiously to examine the results of their handiwork and discovered that, apart from cut caterpillar treads and damage to drive and sprocket wheels, there was nothing to explain the abrupt abandonment of the tanks. 'not until the prisoners were questioned did the riddle become clear'.... The answer lay in the resonant din produced by multiple 20mm strikes on cast steel turrents, which had the effect of transforming them into 'huge bells'.

'Continuous explosions on the turrent had produced a hellish noise which had grown louder from explosion to explosion. The sound had swollen beyond the realms of tolerance and had virtually driven the crews insane.'

... claimed his battery had disabled 32 T-34s tanks before the end of the year [1941], employing similiar tactics.

taken from "A War Without Garlands, operation Barbarossa 1941/42" by Robert Kershaw

The crews must have been pretty inexperienced. Although I suppose a 20mm could have taken out a t34 from the rear, or maybe weak points on the flanks.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

What is not modelled in Cm now is the effect of hits on morale. Hearing constant, very loud impacts on your tank is very frightening for the crew.

This was modelled in Steel Panthers, hopefully it will make into CM2.

German 20mm guns are very good in CM. I often see them damage or immobilize tanks.

Guest Mike the bike

I believe 20mm FLAK was able to disable (??) Matilda tanks in France in 1940 by setting fire to their exterior storage!

There are aspects to survivability besides thick armour!!