I just noticed something

As per a previous thread, I'm practicing my armor tactics so I don't have to whine about my AT teams getting spotted too easily smile.gif. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how to get hull down without coming up short or overexpose myself. That has been one of the main reasons my tanks die fast and dramatically.

So I'm playing an all armor game. I'm down in the grass with the 1 view and I have an enemy tank highlighted. There is a yellow box around the tank which tells me where it is as I'm walking the map looking for good routes. I noticed that the box is small when it is out of LOS, but that it gets bigger once in LOS. So I'm guessing that transition is the hull down point. Is that right? Am I seeing things? Strike that, I know the box is getting bigger, so let me rephrase that. Am I reading too much into this?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

It's been my experience that a selected enemy unit still displays a yellow box even when it is completely out of view. If you go down to level one and the selected enemy unit is over the next hill you will see the yellow box on the hill. I sometimes use this technique to make sure a unit of mine is not visible to an enemy unit. If the yellow box is below the horizon completely then I'm safe.

Treeburst 155

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

It's been my experience that a selected enemy unit still displays a yellow box even when it is completely out of view. If you go down to level one and the selected enemy unit is over the next hill you will see the yellow box on the hill. I sometimes use this technique to make sure a unit of mine is not visible to an enemy unit. If the yellow box is below the horizon completely then I'm safe.

Treeburst 155

Yes, that's my point. You can see the box even when the highlighted unit is out of LOS. But the box gets bigger when it comes into LOS. I'm thinking that the transition from the small box (out of LOS) to the bigger box (in LOS) is the hull down position. I will know soon enough after my opponent returns the movie.

Yes, the box expands when a unit is firing, which of course only happens during the movie phase, not the order phase. But that is yet another indication that the box conveys information beyond just keeping the location of the highlighted unit.

Juardis wrote:

> But that is yet another indication that the box conveys information beyond just keeping the location of the highlighted unit.

Frankly I think it just means that the box will surround the unit model and anything attributed to it. As another example, the box size changes when you toggle coloured bases. The bases are not relevant to LOS, but from a modelling point of view they are part of the unit, illustrating that the box simply outlines the 3D model rather than conveying relevant information.

David

P.S. I haven't done any testing on this, but I think you'll find that when hidden, a unit has a standard box size. When it comes into view the box size changes to reflect the visible size of the unit. Again, it's just an interface issue and nothing to do with the underlying calculations.

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 01-24-2001).]