Mac Graphic 13!?

Hi Guys and Gals!

Im new here so forgive me of this has been asked before......but what improvements are made with the Graphics 13 file that came with the new Mac Beta?......I ask because I believe that if I install it Ill loose all my winter mods!! smile.gif

Cheers!

New HE explosions (only appear if you enable High-Quality Smoke (shift-I)). I preferred the old explosions – the new ones seem more garish and inkier. I'm not sure whey they were changed. That said, I use Fast-And-Compatbile Smoke, so I don't normally see the explosions.

This issue has been raised before – you are correct in that overwriting Graphics 13 will delete your winter modifications. If you have a copy of ResEdit (download from Apple), you can just copy the new graphics without replacing the file.

David

button.gif

I would have to agree about preferring the old explosions. Those new ones remind me of the kinds of explosions you see in bad hollywood movies. They are the ones made by the gasoline bombs that create a very large and dramatic fireball that are pretty unrealistic unless you're blowing up a fuel dump. Most explosions from HE are a very breif and powerful flash and then a hell of a lot of smoke and dust.

Look at the old footage of bombers flying through Flak as an example. It's "BANG" and then a black cloud immediatly appears. It's not some big rolling fireball that fills the sky for several seconds and only then leaving the black puff behind. Another example is when they blow up buildings to make way for new construction. We've all seen that on the discovery channel. It's a brief bang and then lots of smoke and LOTS of dust.

The short and skinny: I much prefer the older explosions.

Reedy:

As noted you risk losing your winter mods. But you can transfer the new expolsions if you do not have them.

If you have not got the Combat Mission MacMod at CMHQ( Maddog Packs section)or Mac CM Mod Manager then do so. Best to have both.

CM MacMod (bsolinger version) will do it fairly directly and with a little workaround MacMod Manager will do it also.

All you have to do is double click on the new Graphic 13, a regular Mac window opens asking

which application to use to open it. Double click CM Mac mod. It opens the program as if you were normally using it. Choose the appropriate data folder and replace or skip as you wish.

As to Mac CM Mod Manager (aikidorat's) put the graphic in the MCMMM folder. Selectadvanced features, and open up the Graphic in question. Under the Edit menu are choices to copy to Picts the graphic entirely or the selected ones. Once selectionis made the pictsare copied out of the graphic and placed in the folder. You then need to use a graphicprogram such as Graphic Converter to chnge the picts to bmps. Then use either program normally.

Since it's only a game, why not save BTS a lot of work and just model all tanks as the generic grey tank.

That was obviously a little sarcastic, but it illustrates the point that there is nothing wrong with a perference for realism.

Hoopenfaust2 wrote:

> Its a game!!!

> The new explosions add a little drama.

pritzl wrote:

> there is nothing wrong with a perference for realism.

It's not a case of preferences – BTS are striving for realism, so I wouldn't expect them to put anything in purely for the "wow" factor.

Realism aside, I was sad to turn off HQ Smoke with the old explosion graphics, but now I'm quite happy not to have them.

Cheers for that chaps!.....I didnt realise you could open the Graphics files themselves with the MacMod!

Nice one!

PS.Is there a list anywhere that tells ya the bitmap numbers and what they are exactly?....Ive got a stupid crater form my rubble patch.....dont look bad when a building blows but the roadblocks look silly and I dunno what number bitmap it was!....DOH!

smile.gif

just to clarify, MCM3 will convert the picts directly, once copied from the resource file. You do not need to convert them to bmps after copying them out (as pointed out a few posts above - thanks!).

I'm going to see if I cant get a readme included in the patch for CM, telling the reader how to convert the new picts in graphics 13.....it may save some trouble later on.

later!

d

ave

Hoopenfaust2 wrote:

> If you really want realism to this GAME why don't you complain about the wheat field model.

CM is more of a simulator than a game. I'm amazed at the number of people who justify deliberate innacuracy or "gaminess" on the basis that it is a "game". BTS seek to make CM as realistic as is feasible. There are obvious plenty of things which haven't gone into the game, because there was a limit to what two guys and a few volunteers could achieve. But everything that has gone in is justifiable and accurate within the constraints of computer power and playability.

People like quoting the "flying camera" as evidence that CM cannot be realistic. They forget that this is practically the only concession in order to make the game playable. You don't do this much research and produce a game this accurate, and then go "ah, what the hell, it's only a game, let's throw in cool Hollywood explosions!". The enjoyment you get from CM is knowing that if you achieved something, it is a tangible achievement in real-world terms. Not like "whoa, I sure toasted your @$$ with the BFG!".

just a bump to get this back, and a tip that I completely missed last week in regards to using MCM3 to convert the new graphics 13 explosion graphics:

Instead of using MCM3 to copy the new explosion graphics (from the NEW G13), you can use MCM3 to directly swap them out.

how, you might ask?

well, I included the ability to REVERT a graphics file, or selected resource ID numbers, by using the advanced features in MCM3. Originally this was intended to allow you to painleslly revert a graphics resource file to the original CD file, but you can use this to REVERT to any resource file named Graphics XX or Graphics XX backup. MCM3 verifies that you selected the correct Graphics XX or Graphics XX backup file before reverting, so you can not revert to the wrong resource file, which would royally screw the game up. smile.gif

You can also REVERT only selected ID numbers, and that is the easiest way (using MCM3) to convert the new explosion graphics provided with the beta patch.

here's how:

Open MCM3

- press advanced features button

- CHOOSE the data folder you wish to view and modify (this will be your CM data folder on your hard disk that you play the game with)

- Select Graphics 13 from the pulldown menu

- Select the explosion graphics ID numbers (I dont have them handy, but they are the ones that are NOT in the 13000's.)

- Press the REVERT SELECTED button

- Use the dialogue box to select the NEW graphics 13 (provided with the beta patch). Make sure it is titled Graphics 13 or Graphics 13backup (safest to keep this in a separate folder)

- MCM3 will then 'revert' the selected graphics to the 'new' graphics.

viola! you're done. You can verify that the new graphics are in the correct G13 file before playing.

just wanted to clarify that. Should work a-ok if you want the new ones.

there are some other ways to do it with MCM3 as well. Let me know if you are interested....

have a great day!

dave