Hey grogs--Volkssturm question

Did the Volkssturm ever get issued uniforms? I'm thinking of making a uniforms mod for them, and want to get away from that "farmer" look they have now. I seem to have read that some units were so equipped, but can't find any visual evidence. If so, would the M44 "Ike" jackets be appropriate?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndrewTF:

Did the Volkssturm ever get issued uniforms? I'm thinking of making a uniforms mod for them, and want to get away from that "farmer" look they have now. I seem to have read that some units were so equipped, but can't find any visual evidence. If so, would the M44 "Ike" jackets be appropriate?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They never had any real uniforms. Heres a good site

Volkssturm

The Modell 1944 Felduniform was issued, IIRC, to Volksgrenadier (not Volkssturm) units; in what numbers is unknown. Most of the photos I've seen of M44 uniforms in use seem to be officers - specifically the photos in Spaeter's illustrated history of GD. There is a nice photo in Waffen-SS by Men at Arms that shows an SS officer wearing one as well.

This may be a fluke, since combat photography in the true sense was rare, and if most photos were staged, they probably focussed on those wearing the better (older) kit.

Whether the Volkssturm is included in the general issue I can't say, though panzerwerfer has linked to a site with some nice (plagiarized) images of various uniforms.

I would be willing to bet that instances of the M44, in any unit, regular or Militia, were relatively uncommon.

Still, it would be a cool looking mod - though not overly different from the regular later pattern Feldblusen (as given in the stock artwork) when you think about it.

The link given above does show a nice armband you could add, too, which would be a nice touch as well as visually striking.

Volkstrum units where suppose to be armed and equipped by each Gaulieter with equipment and supplies on hand, but I assume that mostly it never came to more than handing a 15 year olf a Werhmact uniform and a panzerfaust and shiving them into defensive positions.

Okay, here's an attempt at a Volkssturm "uniform" mod. I did some reading and found that uniforms did vary, with some of the most commonplace being Wehrmacht and party (NSDAP) items. To that end I modified the fieldgrey Wehrmacht tunic with Volkssturm collar tabs and rank markings, and an armband. I gave them dark grey pants and left the cap black, since it shares a texture with the panzer crew.

volks1.jpg

volks2.jpg

Those are neato to look at...though they look a bit like they're heading to the parade ground, if you know what I mean. Very attractive, though.

I have nothing to add here, as I know nothing. Thank you and goodnight.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

nice work, excellent attention to detail. i'm looking forward to setting those "brown" wool tunics on fire with my Churchill Crocs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They look so dang purty ya kinda hate to blow em up, dontcha? tongue.gif

hmm just had a look at the Volkssturm cite linked above...was positively surprised to see they had a section on the Panzerfaust and was hoping for new evidence, information etc. - but then I saw they simply plagiarized (cut&paste) my Panzerfaust site...