Tiger killed by Greyhound

In previous threads I pointed out that CM underestimates some U.S. penetration figures and overestimates other, compared to TM9-1907.

37mm APCBC penetrates about 79mm of homogeneous armor at 25 yards (TM9-1907), which is a few millimeters short of the effective resistance of the Tiger rear hull. There is a small chance that 79mm penetration could get through the Tiger rear armor with enough energy to do something bad.

There are also hits that strike the exhaust system parts on the rear hull and are lucky enough to continue on to the openings where the exhaust leaves the inside of the hull. Those fluke hits that occur when there are openings in armor and shots land on the openings.

When the first Tigers were tested, 50mm AP penetrated the mantlet!!!!!!!!

The hits landed at the bottom of unreinforced vision openings. Good reason to reinforce the mantlet after 140 mantlets were cranked out.

Compare TM9-1907 for 37mm APCBC to CM, and then compare 500m data from TM9-1907 (81mm) to CM.

37mm APCBC rounds were tested by U.S. forces against the Panther side armor in France, it penetrated at the exact same range that was predicted by TM9-1907. And 40mm AP penetrated the Panther side at the same range that TM9-1907 predicts.

When 75mm APCBC was tested against the Tiger 80mm armor, it penetrated at the same range and angle that TM9-1907 predicts.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skipper:

What is so interesting about it? Tigers were brewed by 45mm AT guns regularly (side shots from 300 m or closer). They also could be taken out of battle (if not killed) by 14mm AT rifles (optics hit, TCO tower hit, track hit, gun hit etc).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that is apparently true. But you see, it never happened in Steel Panthers, or in any of the Close Combat games, and so there are lots of gamers who are indignant when they lose a German heavy tank to anything less than a tactical nuclear bomb.

I'm glad that Combat Mission (which resolves tank duels using facts and mathematics, not guesswork and reputation) is slowly changing the "Uber Panzer" perception.

Agreed Runyan99, the uber panzer crowd needs to keep reminding themselves that the Germans really did lose the war, which generally entailed having all of their tanks getting knocked out. Even the uber ones :D

My regular opponent lost Panther to a rear shot from a M8 Greyhound. On another occaision he lost a Panther to a side shot from a M8 HMC at very close range. The HMC was zipping around the side of the Panther so fast the Panthers turret could not keep up with it.

[ 05-25-2001: Message edited by: kmead ]

Actually, the most amazing thing about this thread is that someone who has a high/late member number of 5686 was able to reserve a cool name like "Tungsten". I can't believe someone would not have already taken this name. :eek: