CM under Linux

No this is not a "How do I get it running" thread or even a "Go on Battlefront, port it...". No its about wineX. I have just managed to get Half-Life running using wine and was impressed to say the least. But now I want CM. Hmmm it dont work. Ok search the web...

WOW! www.transgaming.com have a product based on wine which will allow CM to run. <Im just downloading it now> Ok, sort of run. They seem to have a voting system running. CM is in there and votes are required for the developers to get stuck in and make the beast work. So you can see what Im after. If you could, pop over to TransGaming and subscribe. Get your vote in for CM and with a bit of luck it'll get moving up the developers list.

=======

At the moment I dont know. I can get the game running right up to the point of starting a map. But when the 3D graphics kick in the game halts. I did manage to get the patch installed thou. I can hear the music and sound effects, so its looking good. Anyway, Im just trying the CVS version now. See if that makes any difference.

Its a start anyway. :D

I tested the wine patches some time ago, I think that is what is being referred to here. They were crap, IMHO. Never trust an OpenSource project that can't bring its own patches to be accepted by the original maintainers.

The current CVS version of Wine is crap as well, it doesn't even run Tacops anymore.

I run CMBO in vmware on FreeBSD and Linux, though. But it only has 640x480 software mode. Good for a playtest or quick PBEM answer, not good for imposant battles and presice micromanagement.

Have you considered other alternatives to WineX?

There is VMWar and Win4Lin, both excellent emulators of Windoze. I know, the present version of Win4Lin does not support DirectX so you'll have to wait for the next before trying it. VMWare should work but I haven't got a machine powerful enough to attempt it yet (working on it though ;) ). Further down the track, Lindows offers some hope but they haven't even released a beta yet.

MY bet is that CMII has at least a possibility of working under Linux native.

The reason is simple. The next CM engine will be developed for the PC series of OS since that is where 3/4 of BTS sales comes from (according to comments made by Steve here many moons ago). But BTS, like many small game companies (Bungie in its pre MS days comes to mind) develops on the MacOS for both PC and Mac platforms. They will likely be making the final switch to the new MacOS after CM:BB is developed (like many developers). The new MacOS is BSD based, and while not 1-1 compatible with Linus, I have seen some binaries recompile with no extra effort on Linux. We have in fact a few Linux apps working on our OSX 10.1 boxes right now at my work, and our software people said it was not that difficult to migrate between BSD and Linux.

So, while CM:BO and CM:BB may never make the trip over, perhaps a BSD based MacOS-X optimized CM-II could make the trip over, assuming that there are enough Linux users to justify the expense of support for that platform.

So read my above post...

Wine, including the directx extra patches are far from being able to run CMBO. In fact, for my stuff, the current Wine versions get worse, not better.

The only way to run CMBO on FreeBSD or Linux right now is vmware. Installation in that case is exactlly the normal Windows installation, since you are actually running a full Windows.