Toasting marshmellows by the old Sherman...a CMII suggestion

A couple of things that I feel would help contribute to the realism of CMII would be when a vehicle/terrain feature catches fire during a night senario everything within a certain range is silhouetted (causing a lot of incoming fire for anything dumb enough to approach a cozy little camp fire to toast their marshmellows). Secondly, I thought it was rather standard to try to hide tanks in buildings. It would be nice if a fully tracked vehicle could enter buildings albeit at a costly immobilization risk, and that the lighter guns could set up inside buildings.

Thanks

In the words of Michael Stipe,

Run a carbon black test on my jaw

And you will find

It's all been said before

The issue of localised lighting at night is an important one, especially in the case of muzzle flashes, which would in reality attract a lot of suppression fire. The way CM is currently modelled, night fighting is quite similar to fog fighting, in that you simply can't see beyond a certain range, rather than being able to see anything that is illuminated. This will hopefully be addressed through the use of dynamic lighting (assuming this is a practical and not just an aesthetic improvement) when the engine is rewritten after CM2.

As for putting tanks and guns inside buildings – as we always say, what if it has a basement?

button.gif

I agree it would be cool, bu tI don't think it is within the current capabilities for the same reason that starshells are not available for illumination during night games. In order to accurately portray what you are talking about, the program would have to incorporate dynamic lighting. That would, in turn, require a LOT more computing power. I am not sure whether this is going to be a feature in the engine rewrite, but I am almost certain you will not see it in CM:BB.

I agree that guns should be able to set up in buildings (just not move into them during play.)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

...guns should be able to set up in buildings (just not move into them during play.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. How would you feel about guns moving out of buildings they had set up within?

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Agreed. How would you feel about guns moving out of buildings they had set up within?

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would tend to be against it. I think so long as we have buildings that do not reflect partial damage (individual wall taken out, etc.), we should not be able to move the guns out of the buildings.