Existing D-Day Camera Footage...

Hey all,

Long time no post, I know. I have recently encountered someone with actual footage of the D-Day landings (an LST skipper's personal footage filmed on the way into the beach in 8mm true "shakey" cam). It has always been my understanding that such footage was exceedingly rare/non-existant. I was going to encourage this person to get the footage in the hands of a museum for restoration and preservation, but if its not too rare a commodity I wouldn't be so concerned.

Can anyone shed some light on just how valuable a find this is?

Thanks!

Chris

Highly valuable I'd say.

Footage from the landings is indeed quite rare. Much was lost over the side of an LSA, as I recall, and even more simply destroyed by the hostile conditions.

I could certainly understand his reluctance in giving it up however. Maybe he could will it to some historical society or museum. After all, if it's kept this long, a little bit longer probably won't hurt.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clubfoot:

Highly valuable I'd say.

After all, if it's kept this long, a little bit longer probably won't hurt.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless the film continues to deteriorate; my dad finally put his Super 8 home movies onto VHS last year. Some of them, shot in the 1960s, are so yellow and faded you can't make anything out anymore. Time is the enemy of us all.

I see jagdcarcajou still hasn't learned what the General Forum is for either :rolleyes: It's comforting to know that some things never change! :D

Before it gets sent yonder...

Much of the still photographs you are familiar with are the surviving few frames of many rolls taken by Capa. He sent the film back to England to be developed by an assistant-who, due to nervousness, developed the film in very hot water, ruining the film Capa risked his life to take. All but 13 odd frames of many rolls survived. A lab here in NYC ruined my negatives of the WTC, taken with my 8x10" camera-a lab I was sent to by an unnamed newspaper magazine. There are worse stories to be sure, but that's unseen history-now only surviving by the word of mouth of witnesses.