Should bailed crew retreat off map or hide in operations?

Excuse my ignorance but I'm a newbie and confused. I've done a search on this forum and re-read the manual and I still don't know the answer.

confused.gifShould bailed crew retreat off map or hide on maps in operations? confused.gif

I am reading mixed things about what happens to units that retreat during operations. What I want is the answer that will maximize the chances of these crews getting a new tank (or whatever) next battle.

Thanks.

Get them off the map A.S.A.P! And welcome to the forum man smile.gif And if the tank is abbandon you mite get it back but if it is knocked out its out for good.

[This message has been edited by Rob/1 (edited 01-07-2001).]

This is a very inflammatory topic, currently the subject of a couple different threads.

The answer is that there is no one right answer. I will re-post my personal approach:

If I am defending and the crew is nowhere near the main action, it's straight off the board they go, unless it isn't safe to move them; then it's Hide until I can (and I guess if you stumble over them while they are Hiding, whatever happens happens, just as in RL).

If they are near enough to the action and can safely rally to a rearward point (usually a bulding, near a VL, near my CO), I sometimes will send them there. This is when I've "declared Alamo" as some other poster once aptly described it. They go in the building and Hide. This will generally occur in somewhat desperate but not-yet-lost situations late in the game.

Then, if some badly-chewed enemy infantry barges into my building, he will get a little hail of pistol bullets and may leave.

This fits MY little notion of what might happen in such a situation. It is intellectually consistent with my interpretation of the crew's and commander's psychology. It might suck, but that is my reasoning.

If one of my Hiding crews had the opportunity to whack a lone enemy FO, the most hated and softest of targets, I do believe they would.

They would never participate in an infantry offense. Using them for spotting is pure BS, as they not only have no radio, but would be far less adept at communicating through battlefield expedients than real infantry.

So that is my crew doctrine.

Correct, I'm not looking at any "abuse" of the game system in the current battle. I figure they are out of this battle. I just want to get them into the next battle (or the one after that) with a new tank (or jeep or whatever).

Off topic (sorta)

What are the best operations and where do I find them (as I'm partial to them over stand alone scenarios)?

It's an excellent question. I tend to never move anyone off the map during an operation. I says in the manual that a unit moved off in an operation battle will not return, so I always assumed that it meant you shouldn't move crews off as well, but I've never done any experiments to verify it.

I usually have a little safe area near my rear lines, but still on the map, where I send all my bashed up units and bailed out crews. If it's not safe for them to move I just hide them in place and hope they get the chance to move to safety.

p.

Forever Babra, in the VB op you get a new Whittman and a new Tiger anyway. If the first one survives you can actually have two of them at once. I don't think this is a good indication on whether to leave a crew on map or not. Frankly I don't know the answer myself. I would be interested to see a BTS reply on this.