Am I doing something wrong?

Hi,

I have now played something like 10 or so scenarios against the AI and so far every one of them except one has been a total victory for me. (The one was a tie...) The last scenario maybe the best example. I was playing the 30 turn scenario Move-it! or Lose-it! as Americans. By the turn 10 I had practically halted the German advance and on the turn 20 they surrendered. They had all their vehicles kaputt and only six men unhurt.

So, should I give the Axis (I always play as Allied) some handicap or what? I had absolutely no prior experience in wargaming before I bough CMBO, so it is a surprise for me that I fair this well. Or maybe I was born to be a general biggrin.gif

JV

You can give the axis +3 experince level or PBEM against human opponents. The AI is pretty predictable, even with the +3 level, and is much easier to defeat than *most* human players.

That being said, it seems like you're doing pretty well - might as well try playing some humans to see if it's skill or just an ability to "read" the AI...

Guest Andrew Hedges

I tend to give the computer +1 exp., +30% troops in games where I am attacking, and +1, +50% in games where the computer has to attack (incl. ME's). This should give you a pretty good challenge.

Also, wrt QBs, IMO, the computer AI is best in defending against probes.

I never play against the AI. I think that it teaches bad habits. Once you figure out how the AI works, you are just exploiting its weaknesses. You start expecting defending units to fire at long range, revealing their positions. You start expecting attacking infantry to come in a trickle instead of a single wave. You start expecting poor integration of infantry, armor, and artillery.

I recommend you just ignore the AI, and look for some PBEM battles.

I travel a lot so I tend to play CM a bunch on the plane so it's AI play for me.

My recomendation. Play scenarios only once (so you don't know what's coming), play the attacker and give the AI a 25% force and +1 exp advantage. Doing this I"ve had some very fun AI battles, especially so if you stick to scenario defaults on a well designed scenario (move it or lose it is a LOT more fun on the attack, the defensive position is quite good for the americans).

Just my 2cents

Thanks for the replies. I tried to play PBEM once but my opponent just disappeared after five or so turns so that was it and now I have played only against the AI.

I don't know if I can predict what the AI is going to do next. It still can give me a few surprises now and then. And I don't think I have any special tactics that I use in every game. Well, maybe that that I'm quite careful. I HATE to lose any of my men or vehicles, so I try to save them as long as possible. It hurts me to see them run in panic tongue.gif Also, I don't have very much knowledge about real tactics used in WW2 or today or strenghts and weaknesses of the equipment. Someone could even say that I'm using them 'in a wrong way' smile.gif

And yes, I play scenarios only once. What's the point of winning them again, anyway biggrin.gif

So in next scenario I'll try to give the Axis some handicap.

JV

BTW, is it better to stick to scenario defaults or let the AI freely place its units?

Sounds like you are doing something right. You really should reconsider playing vs human opponents as it is the best way to challenge yourself at CM. It's unfortunate that your opponent bailed on you. I can assure you that it's not common for that to happen (never happened to me anyway).

If you like I would be happy to take you on in a scenario of your choice. You need to stop "wasting" all of those great custom scenarios by playing against the AI. I know what you mean about never playing the same scenario twice.

If you are interested, email me at lt.bull@ains.net.au

Lt Bull