Unhide = Ambush cancelled?

Playing a PBEM game with a friend (Team Desobrey, the re-written one).

I've been licking my chops for a couple of turns because I had an M18 hidden in some scattered trees, with an ambush marker placed on a road. His armored column (Tank, Puma, several tracks) is headed down that same road.

So, just as the lead tank gets to the ambush marker, my TD stops hiding, the turret swivels to directly ahead, and the TD Crew doesn't target ANYTHING, even tho several enemy vehicles are in LOS!

German tank rotates turret, caps the M18 with it's first shot.

What gives? Is this a known bug? Is there something odd about a buttoned-up M18 I should know about?

Grrrr....

Vadr

Interesting situation. My guess is that the ambush marker made your hellcat stop hiding, but because he was buttoned, he couldn't find a target in time. Therefore, it is kind of a bug, because the ambush marker had better eyesight than the M18.

Lesson learned- don't ever button up tanks unless they are under heavy small arms fire, air attack, or a VT artillery barrage. When buttoned, you lose the chance to get the critical first shot, and targets appearing to your flanks and rear may not be seen at all.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Guest morjit

I did a little testing. smile.gif

It has to do with the trees and LOS. The ambush is triggered by the unit getting real close to the marker even before if touches it. So because the ambush marker is close to the edge of LOS it gets triggered before the tank can see it's target. And it does this every time, even when not hiding or buttoned.

So 109 Gustav is right. The ambush marker sees the target before the unit doing the ambush.

------------------

Jason

Combat Mission Canadian HQ

cmhq.tzo.com/canada