Realistic Tiger Modeling

CM should have included more realistic modeling for the late war Jerry uber-tanks...Like the King Tiger breaking down if you fast move it for more than one turn and all of the German tanks running out of gas halfway through the game. :D

Gyrene

Those problems would have happened on the way to the battle, not in the 20-60 minutes of combat.

This has been brought up before, and the general opinion was that it would spoil games if tanks broke down for no reason on the first turn. After all, you could claim "I only lost because my KT broke down on turn 5 and never saw an enemy AFV." Not much fun to play with.

[ 04-11-2001: Message edited by: 109 Gustav ]

Or they could model how the Sherman tanks couldn't turn in place on one track. Interviews with American Sherman tankers revealed that 'it took a whole field to turn around in'. They can't lock one track and turn on the other, they have to make a turn using both tracks.

They couldn't pivot around their centers? I thought that has a characteristic of all tracked vehicles. (Non-HT)

I thought they could all do it, tractor-like, I guess it makes sense, being they used steering differentials in US models, instead of turning brakes, like the T34.

Interesting.

Gyrene

Read about that too. As a matter 'o fact someone posted that a while back.

And back on the 88mm's effects. We all know of the excellent penetration it can do but here's some more food for thought. It became SOP for several U.S. armored formations NOT to fish out dead/wounded tankers whose mounts were knocked out by 88's. Why? Supposedly the injuries inflicted I guess were more "disturbing" than usual and caused even more psychological/morale problems to frontline troops who were fishing them out. Rear echelon units were assigned to do these tasks.

Warmaker, a dad's friend who was a Marine in Vietnam told me a story of how he once had to pull some guys out of an Amtrac that brewed up on the water...It boiled the crew, it wasn't a pleasant task.

I've seen first hand the aftermath of bouncing shrapnel inside Iraqi tanks in the Gulf, not pretty. At least I didn't have to clean it up, just taking some Harrier/F18 pilots to inspect their handywork.

Gyrene