Steeple Chase

yeah, i nice tower would do wonders for recreating massive bridge assaults(with towers), the famous had a pumpkin stuck on top of it clock tower on my college campus, and make a nice target to shoot at too...

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

ok... one house = two stories, etc., is all fine and good. That is not the point. The point is where is the occasional church steeple or larger building?

Since CM visually portrays steeples and beltowers in the towns. If it is visually depicted as being there, why not be able to use it??? Is it that much harder to program into the game?

My sharpshooters and observers would be appreciative (at least until they got blasted).

yeah, even if it isn't implemented to cm 1, it'll be cool when in the next games, your opponent destroys the steeple because they suspect it has guys in it(just like in real life wwii)

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

This issue goes a long way back. I don't remember what BTS's opinion on it was, though. My guess is that it will be in CM2, because 2 will support buildings better. You'll be able to blast holes through them, and there will hopefully be 3D rubble.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Think about this: in villages, how tall is the average church. A Church in CM blocks around 15 meters of LOS (based upon a test I just did with the map set to 2.5m per level) so 4-5 stories is about it. This is as tall as the average French masonry cathedral. Taller buildings exist --- commerical buildings and the like in Paris, but a village will rarely have one taller.

The bigger towns might, it you assume that fighting occured in places that it never historically did. The main section of Antwerp cathedral is 40 meters tall. At 80 meters, a soldier in the 2nd gallery of the tower would be as high as it was possible to get coastal Europe.

In Metz, the Palais de Justice, Rue de Allemande, and most of the esplande and Seille quarter architecture was under 5 stories. Only the Cathedral of Saint Etienne was taller during the war. Most cities in France and Germany were that way, with only the biggest cities have massive architecture or huge buildings.

Oddly enough, even when a large building could have been fought over, it rarely was in the west (the east was a different matter). The Germans would not defend castles, monastaries, and historical sites by policy -- Hitler was a great believer in sparing the works of arts even if he put everyone else to the sword. Even Monte Cassino the German were not in the monastary proper, but on the mountian side around it.

So probably your only chance for a bigger building in CM is to build an argument for a cathedral to be created.

Originally posted by Gun Dog:

ok... one house = two stories, etc., is all fine and good. That is not the point. The point is where is the occasional church steeple or larger building?

Since CM visually portrays steeples and beltowers in the towns. If it is visually depicted as being there, why not be able to use it??? Is it that much harder to program into the game?

My sharpshooters and observers would be appreciative (at least until they got blasted).

IIRC putting soldiers on dominate features such as church steeples was at the very least stupid. After Overlord the Allies would blast such features with everything they had at the slightest provacation, including fire which was actully comming from another area. The Germans oddly much like most modern armys prefer to dig in around such features or use the rubble after the things have been blasted. Lesson; putting one man in a feature with no escape was not practiced to such a great extent that BTS felt it should be coded.

And then there is the nature of the beast abstraction. You've just put a FOO on the second level of a CM Church, since individuals place on the field is abstracted how do you know one of your chaps has not decided to pull a moron move and is sitting in 'shoot here' Steeple.

Also have you tried a search? This has been discussed before.

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 01-24-2001).]

I was wondering if churches are any different from 2 story buildings in anything other then looks? i mean, are you allowed a higher spotting range because of the steeple, or are squads in less cover against enemy squads also inside the church since churches are mostly just one big room, or what?

as for the steeple thing, i say it should be included. it may have been a stupid tactic to put men in the most obvious position, but part of the fun of playing a wargame is trying different tactics. Players should be allowed to try them all, including the stupid ones......

------------------

"Life is pain. Anyone saying otherwise is selling something."