AT mines

After a game where I was severely beaten because of the clever use of some AT mines, I decided to use them more often myself. As I had three tanks (Shermans I believe) and they ran in separate minefields, and got all immobilized at once, I was rather impressed with the effectiveness of the AT mines.

In a recent game my opponent would feature a tank heavy group, so I decided to have some fun. You can imagine my anticipation when he planned a move with a colonne of two HT's, an Tiger, a Panther and a SP gun right through one of my AT minefields. Especially as right behind the minefield I had an AT ambush for the units that happen to avoid the mines (you got to love it when a plan comes together!).

You can imagine my chagrin as one after the other the AFV's just rolled straight through my AT field. One of them must have flattened the warning sign, my opponent only realized the minefield was there after the battle was over. (the ambush, a zook at 40m, a 50mm AT gun and a 76 mm AT gun, then managed to take out exactly ONE HT between them, before they were all killed, *really* spoiling my day).

Later on the remaining 4 AFV's rolled through the next (AT) minefield, and one (the SP gun) got immobilized. Elsewhere a single Stug got immobilized (and abandoned) when he tried the same. In an other game, just finished, I also used some AT-mines, and my opponent rolled two TD's through two different minefields. He won't even realize there were minefields in the battle at all (well, AT ones, his infantry managed to find some AP mines).

My question is (and the search didn't work) am I just having very bad luck, is this normal, and what are the chances of getting a 'hit' with an AT minefield?

Bertram

I've noticed it depends on the vehicles current move order while it's going throught the mine field. I had a Sherman get KO'd going through AT mines because I had em in Fast mode. Move or Hunt commands decrease the likelyhood of a "hit" while the weight of the vehicle as well as it's specific PSI have an effect on triggering mines as well. They are tough to scout as well because Infantry can not detect them nor set them off because they are too light. I saw jeep go up in flames once as it raced through a AT mine field, I guess that's a cheap way of finding them.