Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

multi-player gaming - cheap and cheerful

PBEM is good but slow - so Im interested in multiplayer.

Does anybody know the hardware(+instructions) you need to play a multiplayer game ? Anybody had any success building something at home ?

If there are just 2 players can you link them using the serial/parallel ports or do you still need an IPX network or something equivalent ? :confused:

CMBO only uses TCP/IP to communicate between opponents. While it is possible to use the TCP/IP protocol over serial/parallel ports under the Win9x/ME series, I'm under the impression that it won't work for CM. You'll most likely need (and it would be preferable speed-wise) to have network cards installed. Assuming that your opponent is in the same room/building you could wire together with a "cross-over" twisted-pair ethernet cable (which can go a bit further than most serial/parallel cables) and eliminate the need for a hub/switch.

As MrSpkr intoned - there is no capability in CMBO for two players to be on the same side - strictly opponents.

You can pick up a pair of Ethernet cards at CompUSA or somewhere like that for cheap, like maybe $14 each for the cheapest.

To wire them together directly, as Schrullenhaft notes, you'll need a cable where the out-lines on one side are cross-wired to the in-lines on the opposite end, and vice-versa. Probably CompUSA can get you one (or make you one), or you can probably order one thru Radio Shack. It will probably be obscenely expensive for what it is -- $15 or so.

The null cable isn't hard to make, you can find instructions everywhere on the 'net, but you need a special (expensive) crimping tool to attach the connectors, so don't waste your time looking for a how-to, it's cheaper to buy it pre-made unless you're making a LOT of cables.

If you can't find the cable, you can buy a hub -- a cheap one is maybe $25. You also might be able to find a multiport Ethernet card which has a built-in hub, but I doubt you'd save money.

You can also probably find kits with two cards and a hub and maybe save a few bucks. I know CompUSA sells LinkSys kits like this, I don't know the price.

So you're looking at maybe $50 total, at the cheapest. Of course, then you'll be fully networked, too -- file copies are easier, etc.