What the Future Holds?

First question, Is there an expansion planned for this game? I've heard about a Russian Front idea. Will this be a stand alone costing the full $45 dollars or will it be a scenario/skins pak that is less?

Next, can one create random-map point-buy scenarios and then play against the AI? Or is this only possible aganst human multiplayers?

I have a relatively slow computer with no 3-d card. If I can run the demo, will the main game be usefully more effective on my computer?

Finally, when I add skins, mods, or scenarios to my natively installed version of this game is there a good chance that they will corrupt it? What user problems have been experienced with these net add-ons? Can they be turned on/off? Are there more vehicles/troops on the internet or just new skins for the base ones?

Please answer my questions--and i'm very intersting in joining your net-community.

I will let more knowledgeable people than I answer your questions, since I'm pretty new myself, just wanted to say welcome abroad. This is really a cool forum. You will notice however that there are those that never sleep, eat or I guess even have jobs. But they're cool. I will answer one question, however. I have a PentII, 128 ram and 20 something harddrive , I don't know what all that means but maybe you will, anyway I downloaded for days- really all the mods I could and while it did slow my game down it wasn't a whole lot, but it did. I was warned that downloading grass mods would do that, but I know have people lie so figured that they just didn't want me getting any good grass mods, so I ignored them. Anyway, my point, might not want to download grass mods.

Originally posted by Kettenkrad:

First question, Is there an expansion planned for this game? I've heard about a Russian Front idea. Will this be a stand alone costing the full $45 dollars or will it be a scenario/skins pak that is less?

The next one will be the same basic engine, but with data (involving a great deal of research) for the men and equipment of the eastern front. It will also have a number of enhancements that BTS have hinted at, but since development of CM2 is just starting we have to wait for them to drop some more teasers.

Next, can one create random-map point-buy scenarios and then play against the AI? Or is this only possible aganst human multiplayers?

You can set up buy your own quick battles against the AI or a human. All the parameters are set before you have to pick how or who you're playing against. The map generator does a pretty nice job, and if you want the computer to buy your units it will give you interesting combinations that aren't unreasonable.

I have a relatively slow computer with no 3-d card. If I can run the demo, will the main game be usefully more effective on my computer?

You will probably want to shell out for a 3-D card. I play on a laptop where I get 640x480 with the hardware rendering (ATI RageLTPro, 4 MB) or 1024x768 with software rendering (it's a pretty speedy laptop 300 MHz G3) and I prefer the speed of moving around the map with the hardware rendering in lower res.

Finally, when I add skins, mods, or scenarios to my natively installed version of this game is there a good chance that they will corrupt it? What user problems have been experienced with these net add-ons? Can they be turned on/off? Are there more vehicles/troops on the internet or just new skins for the base ones?

I don't do much modding, but the mods are all done to external files, and are just bitmaps. If you do manage to munge things up you just have to replace the file with the original from the CD. I think a lot of people keep bunches of versions of the various skin files around and change them depending on the battle or what they had for breakfast. There don't seem to be many (really almost no) reports of mods causing trouble. As long as the file doesn't get corrupted the worst damage you are likely to cause is uglyness or maybe a transparent panel here or there.

You can't add vehicles or troop types. Those are intentionally hard-coded so that if you're playing against someone across the net you're guaranteed to be playing the same game. They can't add the "KitchenSink Ausf.D" mod to obliterate your forces or anything.

Scenarios are just extra files that you drop in the scenario directory. They can't break anything, and they're the same for mac and pc. You can also PBEM or TCP/IP with someone on a different platform with ease. A person's selection of mailer or ISP makes more difference than the particular platform. There are lots and lots of extra scenarios and operations available. The replayability of CM is enormous, though once you play against people a few times you won't be able to play the AI any more.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 03-02-2001).]

I would say invest in a GForce 2 MX. Low Price long life. Also the second game will be based on the same engine but greatly expanded to incorporate the Russian Front. This is a great sim as well as a damn good game. It is the best supported game ever by it creators who frequent the board and who listen and actually make changes if fact backs up requests and time permits. Also in Mods alone I have 552 MB backed up on one of my hard drives. Every graphic in the game for the most part has been changed and upgraded (hi res). This difference alone is worth the money for a new card. (est. 120 american). As an added bonus a complete desert mod is happening that will be unoffical and not true sim because all the textures and calculations will be wrong 9will be pretty to look at) Buy the game and join the mass addiction! That is from clergy how can it be wrong wink.gif

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Kryton of Red Dwarf

First of all, welcome to the realm of CM:BO, you will never want to go back.

Originally posted by Kettenkrad:

Nope, as many have requested, no additional equipment, terrian type are going to add to CMBO.

If you look back other threads -- okay, I am going to sum it up here -- BTS is starting to work on CM2 right now, they will leave CMBO as is for now. However, they may still fix any bugs and tweak any inbalances in CMBO. But don't get disappointed for there are a large pool of 3rd party mods and scenarioes/operations available right now -- more than you can every play them all in your life, I promise. smile.gif

As for CM2, it is a seperate game based on the same game engine with expanded capbilities. It will be all about Axis verses Soviet Union dated from June 1941 to May 1945, afaik. I wish they would also included the First Winter War took place in winter 1940 between Finland and the Soviets. No definite words about the span yet but well, Eastern Front war history is also the history of armour warfare development -- from skinny PzII to King Tigers and from T-26 to IS-2. One thing we are sure is there will not be any (horse)mounted troops. Nope, I am not any insider or beta testers, I am just spent too much time browsing the Forum...

Yep, it is called Quick Battle, it can be found on the top part of the scenario selection page.

I suggest you get yourself a good 3d accelerator. For PC, either Matrox G450 and any boards based on GeForce 2MX are good enough and they are dirt cheap. These boards can accelerate CMBO even though you can bet the Game cannot even fully use all special features of these powerful 3d cards. If you have a notebook, well...

Wow..okay.

1. I have yet to hear mods corrupt a game. Most of the time just the texture or text goes out of place for visual mods. I don't think sound and UI mods caused too many problems. Note, the mods are just like skins for FPS or browsers, they don't change the functionality.

2. If you use mods labelled as "hi-res", they may not show up or they cause your game to run very slow.

3. Since most mods involve in replacing files in certain directories, make a back up all the bitmaps and sound files of the original installation. If you don't like the mod, just replace the necessary files from the backup. For MacOS users, there is always a backup file made by the Mod Manager.

4. As mentioned, the mods are barely skins, all vechicles and troops are hard-wired in the program. BUT...a group of great people are working on a North African mod called "The Desert Fox and Desert Rats" which changes the "look" of many vechicles of the original CMBO and emulates those who is not in the original TO&E but did actually particpate in the North African desert like Italian M13/40.

Please answer my questions--and i'm very intersting in joining your net-community.

No problem. See we "memmbers" are humble to humble people and don't treat ourselves as "elites". biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Griffin.

P.S. Would you like to have a game of PBEM?

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 03-02-2001).]

Ah, one thing, Kettenkard, looks like you have not got the full game yet, haven't you? If not, have your plastic ready and go to Combat Mission Beyond Overlord Order page and order one immediately. Thank you on behalf. biggrin.gif

Griffin.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Guest MantaRay

Kettenkrad,

Ummm, I would suggest you get this game first so you can truly understand just how great a job BTS did. And with the many excellent mods out there, this game is far above what one can expect for $50.

Yes, the next game out of BTS' stable will be CM2: Beyond Barbarossa. No it will not be an add on, and if it was we would all be pissed. The way BTS does things, there will be more than eye candy and scenarios that you would get from the usual add-on.

You see, WE WANT TO GIVE THEM $50 MORE! They not only deserve our support, but earn it. And very few companies can have that said about them.

So, what is the hold up? The longer it takes you to pull out the plastic, the less CMing you get to do. And we here in the community find that to be a crime. smile.gif

Welcome aboard, there are thousands of people here who are waiting to whip a newbie.

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

New Site of the PLA:Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

Manta, I like that attitude. But you are scaring a new guy away! Or somebody will try to police us as "newbie vultures". tongue.gif

CMBorg, come in please!!!

Griffin.

Originally posted by MantaRay:

You see, WE WANT TO GIVE THEM $50 MORE! They not only deserve our support, but earn it. And very few companies can have that said about them.

So, what is the hold up? The longer it takes you to pull out the plastic, the less CMing you get to do. And we here in the community find that to be a crime. smile.gif

Welcome aboard, there are thousands of people here who are waiting to whip a newbie.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Thanks for your SWIFT replies and explanations--I'm ready to join and had ordered the game before I posted. Actually, Uncle Sam is the one to thank, cause when you dont make much he gives you a bunch back!!! He fixed my car and bought me CMBO.

Thanks too to the guys at Kenzer Co. for suggesting this game in KOTD!! Their reviews are a great way of giving props to those who deserve it. Gamers are not dorks, we are the wave of the future!

The Desert Fox idea seems really frikkin cool--plz keep me posted on its progress. Actually,for a while I had some reservations about this game (for the first like, 30 min) But now I cant seem to stop playing or thinking about it. . .I can see why you want to give them your money.

As soon as I have the game in my hands i'll be "ready" to challenge whoever wants some of this small-half-tracked-motorcycle. My e-mail is Jeffbo3494@aol.com and if you e-mail me it makes it a lot easier to remember your name for future challenges.

Good Hunting to all--

J.Bosch

------------------

This is difference between the American and the Japanese point of view in World War II

Japanese: "We'll kill you even if we have to run into you to do it"

Americans: "We'll kill you, and we don't even have to run into you to do it."

Guest MantaRay

Heh Grif, see I scared him into it, even before I posted. Funny how he has the same exact job I have too.

But Kettenkrad, welcome anyway, even if you do have AOL hehe.

Now you need to go on your rite of passage and download all the mods, visit the Peng thread(s), write BTS a thank you letter, tell Matt to not show you his Hair pic, and of course get a lawyer for the divorce proceedings.

Borg must be memorizing the Peng thread again, he will be here in short order.

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

New Site of the PLA:Rugged Defense Group Ladder

The Red Army Mirror

Ah, Manta, oic now. smile.gif

KettenKrad, good, glad you made it. Search for "what you should do when CM arrives". Prepare for them. Make sure tell you wife (if any), relatives and friends you will soon "disappear without a trace" and stock yourself food and water as if nuclear war is about to break out (touch wood!). Moreover, also make dups to the CM disk or else your wife might take it away. Oh, or have your wife (if any) to feed you regularly.

Griffin.

P.S. "Ketten" means "chain", what is "krad", may I ask?

Originally posted by MantaRay:

Funny how he has the same exact job I have too.

------------------

"Can't get enough Tank?"

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 03-02-2001).]

Originally posted by GriffinCheng+:

...any boards based on GeForce 2MX are good enough and they are dirt cheap.

Isn't that a matter of definition?

Around here the cheapest version of GeForce2MX cards are above 3000 SKr (=300 USD), to me that's not dirt cheap. (For the GT version add another $100.)

The $120 someone mentioned might at best give you a TNT2 GPU with some 16MB SDR or so...

Cheers

Olle