A question about Marco Bergman's mods

Lately I seem to spend more time looking for and installing mods than playing. I just installed all of M. Bergman's tank mods (simply awesome), and I have some questions. Of course I could ask him (I already sent an e-mail) but I thought I could get some fast answers here in the forum.

#1: The mods work through batch files. The last batch you ran seems to remain "on" until you run another. Is there any way to go back to the game's default images? Uncomprehensible as it may seem to some, I can think of more than one reason why I would want to do so.

#2: The British Stuart Kangaroo has an American (?) star in front, and the Sherman II has a similar one on the top of the turret. Is this a mistake or intentional? I have checked the files and it is not a bug, the stars (along with other British markers and colors) are in bmp files 3602.uk and 3333.uk.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caralampio:

Lately I seem to spend more time looking for and installing mods than playing. I just installed all of M. Bergman's tank mods (simply awesome), and I have some questions. Of course I could ask him (I already sent an e-mail) but I thought I could get some fast answers here in the forum.

#1: The mods work through batch files. The last batch you ran seems to remain "on" until you run another. Is there any way to go back to the game's default images? Uncomprehensible as it may seem to some, I can think of more than one reason why I would want to do so.

#2: The British Stuart Kangaroo has an American (?) star in front, and the Sherman II has a similar one on the top of the turret. Is this a mistake or intentional? I have checked the files and it is not a bug, the stars (along with other British markers and colors) are in bmp files 3602.uk and 3333.uk.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Caral,

First question. No, you can't go back to the defaults without recopying the BMP directory off of the CD or a backup if you have it. If you want to take the time to identify the relevant BMP files in the mod, you can copy only those off the CD, so as to preserve any other mods you have installed. And yes, I'm curious... Why go back to the defaults? :eek:

As for the star, it's historically correct. All the Allied armies sometimes used the star as a recognition aid, not just the U.S. If it bothers you can fiddle the 2 BMP files a bit in any paint program and get rid of it though. There may even be an optional "star-less" turret top in the Fullpack - can't recall.

- Old Dog

Thanks for the response. Mr Bergman also answered my e-mail last night.

About what reasons I could have to want to be able to go back. First, you may laugh but just because. I hate it when some software changes the settings in my computer and I can't make the changes go away. This is similar. The first thing I thought after looking at the cool mods was, OK now how do I restore the defaults?

Second, in a huge battle the Hi-Res mods could slow down the game I think. Going back to simpler things could be useful.

Third, there are some incompatibility issues like you can't have British and US Shermans in the same battle.

Fourth, it can be a bother sometimes. Like, you load a battle and then, "Ungh! I forgot to run the UK batch! Look at those turrets!"

These four items aside, I'm extremely happy with the mods. Well worth any inconveniences.

Have you thought of doing an entire duplicate game art folder that you could swap in-and-out of the CM folder depending on which mods were wanted? For example "I feel like doing a huge battle today, better use my low-res graphics." You could have your default CM folder, an early war folder, a Ruhr industrial building folder, etc. etc. Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.

For anyone else who feels this way I recommend you consider the LR Plainpack versions of my mods, which are the same size as the originals, and don't have colour conflicts. If only US-UK compatibility is the problem, use the HR plainpacks.

Two other points:

1) All CM mods overwrite the original and don't let you swap at will, not just the batch file ones. If this is an issue, use the Mod Manager, or make a second BMP directory as MikeyD suggests.

2) If you do get into a battle and find you've got the wrong texture set: just save, drop out to the desktop, run the right batch, go back to the game, and load. Doesn't take long.