Fallschirmjager Stugs

Pud

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, well that Rheinland action wasn't really fought all along OOB and TO&E, and was far from what the german command had in mind for their Fallsch.-Jäger ( smile.gif ) ... it was not very representative to extrapolate it onto the whole FJ branch and label it as an arm with gratuitous artillery by default and during the whole war.

IIRC, not sure, but wasn't one reason for the widespread use of inherent 120mm mortars within the FJ the notoric lack of artillery support?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

hmm, well that Rheinland action wasn't really fought all along OOB and TO&E, and was far from what the german command had in mind for their Fallsch.-Jäger ( smile.gif ) ... it was not very representative to extrapolate it onto the whole FJ branch and label it as an arm with gratuitous artillery by default and during the whole war.

IIRC, not sure, but wasn't one reason for the widespread use of inherent 120mm mortars within the FJ the notoric lack of artillery support?<hr></blockquote>

Martin - you are right, it was not what was intended for them and it was not fought along TO&E. But fought it was. Jason said that they mostly fought with limited artillery support. Well for the Rhineland battles (there were a number of FJ Divisions there, not just one regiment), need overrode TO&E considerations.

These battles were a major operation, on a scale with the Ardennes offensive, and probably equally if not more devastating to the Germans in terms of losses and consequences. It could just be the transatlantic divide showing again, since the battle was fought by the Commonwealth. It certainly has had much less press than the Ardennes.

I am much less informed about the artillery support that Students 1. FJ Armee could call on, but would be interested in numbers for that.

JasonC - I stand corrected. What I wrote were not additional formations but additions to what you had already described.

Tough crowd with Fallsch. abbrev. Proper and used abbrev. is FJ but have had people confused by this....

So used longer abbrev.