U.S. 37mm Gun Against Infantry

Has anyone ever had any luck using the 37mm agains infantry? In a recent battle I had a squad attacked by an Stuart who shot at me for 10 min and killed maybe 1 man, it seems like the MGs on the tank do more damage than the 37mm gun does. I assume it is similar to a hand grenade as far as blast radius goes?

Thanks Pvt.Tom

Seems appropriate. smile.gif

The 37mm ATG was discarded by the Soviets because the HE was too small to have any effect on soft targets. Instead the Soviets increased the calibre to 45mm.

Oh, the HE is definately inferior to a handgrenade.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 01-25-2001).]

Originally posted by Pvt.Tom:

Has anyone ever had any luck using the 37mm agains infantry? In a recent battle I had a squad attacked by an Stuart who shot at me for 10 min and killed maybe 1 man, it seems like the MGs on the tank do more damage than the 37mm gun does. I assume it is similar to a hand grenade as far as blast radius goes?

Thanks Pvt.Tom

The 37mm works great against infantry! If

the shell hits a guy, it takes his head

right off.

regards,

--Rett

Try the German Ostwind with its 37mm Flak cannon. Excellent for suppressive fire and injuries to soft targets. It will also destroy a light building in one turn, not to mention light vehicles in less time smile.gif

------------------

When men are inhuman, take care not to feel towards them as they do towards other humans.

--Marcus Aurelius

So I am assuming that most people use the Stuart and M8 as tank hunters and only use it against infantry if there are no enemy tanks around? Would you also agree that the MGs are more effective against infantry than the 37mm most of the time?

Originally posted by Pvt.Tom:

So I am assuming that most people use the Stuart and M8 as tank hunters and only use it against infantry if there are no enemy tanks around? Would you also agree that the MGs are more effective against infantry than the 37mm most of the time?

the 37mm doesn't really wipe out infantry the way the 75, 76 or 105 do, but Ive found that the Stuart with cannon and mg can suppress the hell out of and isolate the enemy squads while your troops get close enough to wipe and their friends them out.

Guest Mikey D

By mid-44 the U.S. 37mm gun had its own canister round, like a giant shotgun shell. No range to speak of but don't get in front of it. G.I.s loved 'em in the pacific for fighting Japanese 'human wave' assualts but the reviews were mixed in Europe.